Dwarf Bresse pullet out of a 50 straight run batch?

LTAY1946

Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 8, 2022
South Alabama
Out of 50 straight run Bresse chicks I have one that is the size of a quail while its siblings are about to start laying. Rooster siblings crowing. Is there such a thing as a natural bantam? I don't know how bantams are created and have never heard of a Bresse bantam. I'm going to keep it and take good care of it no matter what it is. It can eat much much more than a Bob White quail.

If she is just small she is likely failure to thrive chick. If she's doing okay right now there is a good chance she'll live a happy life. Dwarfism in chickens is also possible, but for that to be the case she would have shorter legs and neck compared to the rest of her body.

If she is just small she is likely failure to thrive chick. If she's doing okay right now there is a good chance she'll live a happy life. Dwarfism in chickens is also possible, but for that to be the case she would have shorter legs and neck compared to the rest of her body.
She seems to have a normal proportion of all things. She is just a miniature as far as I can see. Tomorrow I'll try to get a photo with her against a normal sized sibling. She has always been healthy. No signs of any weakness. She sounds more like a chick than an 18 week old pullet. All the normal sized siblings treat her well. She needs a bath after playing in the mud after recent rains.

Back
Top Bottom