Dyhydrated Silky

Itzachickthing

Hatching
Aug 8, 2021
Hi, I have a silky who didn't have access to water for several days (couldn't reach new water source) she is weak and can barely stand, I don't want to lose her. I have given her water with electrolytes but she seems to be declining, any suggestions on how I can save her would be greatly appreciated.

If you know how to tube feed you could give her fluids that way. A piece of plastic aquarium tubing and a syringe can be inserted into her right back throat down into her crop, and you can feed some every hour or two. Otherwise, dip her beak into fluids using a small cup or scoop. Electrolytes can be good for a day or two, or you can give Poultry NutriDrench orally and give water. Let us know how she gets along, and good luck. Watermelon is a very good way of getting fluids into them.

If you know how to tube feed you could give her fluids that way. A piece of plastic aquarium tubing and a syringe can be inserted into her right back throat down into her crop, and you can feed some every hour or two. Otherwise, dip her beak into fluids using a small cup or scoop. Electrolytes can be good for a day or two, or you can give Poultry NutriDrench orally and give water. Let us know how she gets along, and good luck. Watermelon is a very good way of getting fluids into them.
Thank you.

I'm sorry she is not doing well :hugs
I think it is very good that you are keeping her in the house at the moment. Perhaps/Hopefully she just needs a few more days to get more strenght.
Does she eat?

Do you know exactly how many days? "Several" to some is 2; to others it's 5. I think you're doing all you can and getting great suggestions above!

There's a good lesson here too: we should always make sure that any food/water source is accessible by the whole flock before putting it into service, even having backup water stations (food not quite so critical) just in case.

We check our birds a couple of times a day and do a headcount EVERY night. In other words, we put eyes on every single bird at dusk. It tells us that everybody is up for the night, and we get a look at them up close in case we didn't see something earlier in the day. If we're not going to be home, we have a "chicken sitter" that takes care of all of that.

I have a huge soft-spot for Silkies, so I'm really hoping your baby pulls through this! :-|

Back
Top Bottom