dying chick... limp failure to thrive.

chevgrl

Songster
8 Years
Feb 6, 2011
Western Iowa
I've got a 5 day old chick that was incubated by a broody Hen she had 4 chicks hatch 2 days earlier and the day I discovered him she would no long set. So I brought him and the rest of the eggs in. Another egg hatched and has spraddled legs I put them both inside my brooder in my house. He was doing magnificently super active. He drinks a ton but I haven't seen him eat but the food gets spread everywhere.and he picks and things. He was fine earlier had a very small amount of feces stuck lower on his butt,but not covering vent and then this evening he is just limp he woulodnt wake up when I picked him up and the vent was then covered in feces so I cleaned him off which made him start chirpping. I gave him a gruel of chick starter, water, finely chopped oatmeal and a dab of corn syrup and he has perked up alittle he is nw laying on his feet where as before he was laying on his side. Are there any other things I can give him or do to help him?

Poor little guy.
sad.png
Some of my 2.5 wk olds have had similar symptoms, and one died yesterday. Today I started giving them molasses water in place of regular sugar water, and it seems to be helping. I got the molasses flush from an older thread here on BYC, it's basically 1/4 c molasses to 1 gal of water, so I broke it down to 1/2 tbs to 1 qt, which I've been offering free choice. I don't know if it'll help your little one, but it may be worth a try.

Poor little guy.:(      Some of my  2.5 wk olds have had similar symptoms, and one died yesterday.  Today I started giving them molasses water in place of regular sugar water, and it seems to be helping.  I got the molasses flush from an older thread here on BYC, it's basically 1/4 c molasses to 1 gal of water, so I broke it down to 1/2 tbs to 1 qt, which I've been offering  free choice.  I don't know if it'll help your little one, but it may be worth a try. 

Thanks its worth a shot he is still alive! I'm wondering if it isn't part pbs but also I backed the light up and cooled it off alittle in the brooder and that seemed to help along with the corn syrup. I think corn syrup works similiarly to molasses you think?

my chickie was born saturday at 1am and is the only chick. She isnt eating or drinking. She sleeps alot, and Im starting to worry. . any suggestions???

So I'm not totally sure about this, but I know corn syrup and molasses obviously have very different densities (and when used in baking of course, different flavors & results- that's why they tell you to add brown sugar to corn syrup to substitute for molasses) I could be wrong and corn syrup could give the same benefits to the little chick, but just wanted to give you my 2 cents- hope it helps!
I've only used molasses & it's worked like a charm. You're little chickies are adorable- I hope they grow up healthy & happy

Oh, and of course good ol' overpriced "Sav A Chick" never hurts either. It's expensive & you can make a similar electrolyte solution but I've just pretty much broken down & bought some on sale to keep for emergencies. It's been helpful quick fix when I'm busy running around mixing all sorts of mash, molasses, & tending to the chicks.

I had the same problem with a teeny banty chick she would be fine for a while then go limp and just act like she didn't want to move but was sitting up, i went thru this with her for 3 weeks at first i thought she was just so little and it just stuck to her feathers but that wasn't the case she finally after a few days i started putting anti bac and vasoline on her hiney because it was getting raw and looked like a fever blister so I started forcing sav a chick down her using a dropper every few hours and finally i had to do a chickie enama(sp)
sickbyc.gif
which was disgusting but it worked she would poo and i would clean her up again and put her back in the brooder and she would run around happy as a claim until she got plugged up again and finally when she was 3 weeks she took a growth spurt and grew out of it so to speak. She's still tiny but has grown into a very pretty hen and is a mom to a banty/blue andy roo

Back
Top Bottom