Chick Boost?

MommA2K

Songster
Apr 13, 2020
Central MN
Hello all! I have a 4 day old chick that I’m attempting to nurse back to good health. My son’s daycare hatched some eggs and when I went to pick him up yesterday I saw they had this little one separated and “he” didn’t look too good. Our youngest has named him T-Rex, so that’s who I’m referring to from here on out 😅 The employee said all the other chicks were walking all over T-Rex so they moved him to a separate brooder. When I first saw him I wasn’t sure if he had spraddle leg or if it was failure to thrive. I’ve had chickens for a few years now and I’ve successfully helped another chick before so I felt up to the challenge. The daycare was doing everything they could, but I know with tending to the children they wouldn’t have been able to give this little guy the attention he needed.

Last night I gave him some egg yolk/sugar water via syringe, he didn’t take much but he did take some. I gave him more this morning and have since picked up some chick boost. Do I just add this to his water or should I use a syringe to administer it so I know he gets some? Give him the chick boost and egg mixture? I haven’t seen him drink much on his own, he has taken a couple pecks at his feed. Normal poop. He can walk just fine! I’m hoping with a little TLC we can get him strong enough to be integrated with a couple other chicks. I have a heat plate with a stuffed animal and he’s very content with that. I’m hoping a little rest will do him wonders.

Attachments

• 2AACF558-1B5D-4D82-86A8-3A58616C43FE.jpeg
    2AACF558-1B5D-4D82-86A8-3A58616C43FE.jpeg
    378.4 KB · Views: 21
Sounds to me like you're doing a great job. I'd put chick boost in his water and encourage him to drink on his own (dip his beak.) And make a mash out of his starter feed by adding chick boost water. Offer plain fresh water too. I bet he needs flock mates and with any luck T Rex will be T Rexine

Back
Top Bottom