Dying chick

Discussion in 'Quail' started by WalkingNorth, Jan 20, 2013.

1. WalkingNorth

WalkingNorth Out Of The Brooder

Just wanted to put this out there

Set up the brooder terrarium next to the adult terrarium a couple of days ago. Today we moved a second female into the adult terrarium (2 females total) and they started fighting. Apparently the chicks observed this and thought it might be fun. Now I have one chick isolated and dying

Put up a divider between the terrariums and separated the hens. The chicks pretty much instantly stopped picking on eachother and snuggled up into a pile of fuzzy sleep

Hard lesson learned. Poor little guy survived a backwards hatch and was the smallest. Never thought seeing the hens squabble would get the babies squabbling.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am glad the little guy survived. Boy, he has had a tough life. But sometimes these little ones grow up to be the flock leaders and meaner than a junk yard dog! He may teach them all a lesson when he grows up. LOL

Keep the injured chick that is dying in it's own space and you might want to raise the temp a few degrees for him. Injured birds can go into shock easily. (they get very cold)

Great that you were able to restore the peace. :)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by