Dying chickens

Minny and Pearl

Hatching
Aug 27, 2019
We have had chickens that must have eaten a mushroom and there symptoms were as though they were stoned. Yet they got through it. Soooooo, when two weeks ago one of our girls had similar symptoms I was not worried, within three days she was dead.
Runny yellow poop was near her. I scrubbed the coup moved it washed all the water and food dish's. Three days ago another hen presented with the same symptoms, today she died, except this time she had the same yellow runny poop and clear liquid running out of her mouth area. once again i cleaned everything and trying to find answers. Any help here? thanks

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry to hear about your ladies. :( :hugs

Best suggestion if you're in the states is to refrigerate and send in the body for necropsy. Links to help...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

Some questions please...

How many birds, in how much space, free range? What is fed including treats and supplements on a regular basis? What breeds and age? What type of mushrooms have you found that you suspect? Did they stay with the flock or hang back alone, in the lay box, up to roost at night? How many birds have ya got left? How did you dispose of the previous bodies?

Please describe what you mean by stoned... stumbling, hungry, sleepy, or not eating and drinking lots, standing, or sitting... did you take any pictures or video? Sometimes they can give huge clues. Please ad your general location to your profile to help peeps make the best suggestion possible at a glance.

:fl

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So sorry to hear about your ladies. :( :hugs

Best suggestion if you're in the states is to refrigerate and send in the body for necropsy. Links to help...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

Some questions please...

How many birds, in how much space, free range? What is fed including treats and supplements on a regular basis? What breeds and age? What type of mushrooms have you found that you suspect? Did they stay with the flock or hang back alone, in the lay box, up to roost at night? How many birds have ya got left? How did you dispose of the previous bodies?

Please describe what you mean by stoned... stumbling, hungry, sleepy, or not eating and drinking lots, standing, or sitting... did you take any pictures or video? Sometimes they can give huge clues. Please ad your general location to your profile to help peeps make the best suggestion possible at a glance.

:fl

Girls are 3 to 4 years, sex links a mixed small flock, gifted or bought from neighbors was 8 now 6, in the mountains of western NC.
by stoned I mean,
standing still, moving slow, still drinking and eating but little, the other birds seemed to take care of them, not sure of the mushroom type, but we do have amanita's in the area.these last birds showed different signs.
Feed:eek:rganic layer feed
Housing: Movable coup enclosed in movable fence,1/2 day in pen on grass other 1/2 free range
I buried the birds that died with a lot of lime on top.

Back
Top Bottom