Dying chickens!

sargent spurs

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 24, 2011
VA
I need help. I think my chickens have mites and they are killing them. In any case they are dying despite my best efforts. We have dipped them and sprayed them with neem spray. There are no obvious mites left but still there feathers don't look great and the leg scales are not healthy looking. The flock is looking better but then every couple of days a chicken will sicken and die.
barnie.gif
I don't know what to do.
hit.gif

Is neem spray one of those things like DE? Better a preventative than a cure... and might not work that well?

If they have active infestations, you probably have to bring out the true pesticides that are known to kill infestations. Plus, if leg scales are bad, you'll want to treat for scaly leg mites.

I may be wrong but it sounds like you have something else going on. If you have treated the mites and are still loosing birds I would look elsewhere. Have you tried worming them? What are the other symptoms? Do they look anemic? Post pics if you can and maybe someone can jump in and help you.

Mark

I would like to know are these chickens that are having such a mite problem coop up or free range chickens? Whatever is giving rise to the problem, I'm doing the opposite. That's sickening.

I have my chickens in two movable coops and try to move them every day or every other. I let them free range most of the day now sense the problem hit. I am going to order netting, any suggestions on that?
smile.png

I found deer netting online with a google search and asked seller what the difference was between deer and fowl netting? He never got back to me. Anyway the deer netting was closer to the size I needed. It was 15 X 28 for $39. Not to bad.

Back
Top Bottom