Dying Chicks-Please help

This is the problem with chicks from incubators. I never use them. I use medium and small hens to hatch and raise them. The mother hen changes the placement of the eggs not only rotate them. the middle ones she puts them at the margin , she does not leave the eggs to the same temperature. Incubators have the same temperature all the time.

Reading all this about shipping chicks I wonder if it's not a little cruel to have them shipped. I was thinking of it but now have changed my mind. I want certain breed of chicks but not at their expense :(

Anyone have a homemade recipe for roy??
? do you mean home made electrolyte? Do a google search for home made electrolyte solution, or home made gator ade. Super simple and easy to make. basic ingredients include: Water, sugar, salt, baking soda, and if you want to flavor it, use some of the old fashioned koolaid (the kind that you have to mix with sugar.)

Try this recipe:
Homemade Gatorade Recipe

2 quarts water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 teaspoons salt (I use Sea Salt)
7 Tablespoons sugar
1 packet Sugar-Free Kool-Aid (Old fashioned kind, not the stuff with nutri-sweet or aspartame) You can use much less flavoring: perhaps just enough to give the solution a bit of color.
Reading all this about shipping chicks I wonder if it's not a little cruel to have them shipped. I was thinking of it but now have changed my mind. I want certain breed of chicks but not at their expense
sad.png
Starting a flock with shipped chicks is not always the BEST solution, but it's often the only solution for someone who does not live near a breeder so they can get their chicks locally. It's also the easiest way to get a particular breed of chicken for your flock. Flocks have been started with shipped chicks for decades. While I encourage folks to set up their flocks so they can breed forward and hatch their own eggs, that's not always possible b/c of flock size limitations and "no roo" policies in many communities. And if you get your chicks from a feed store, guess what? Those chicks are shipped. The only difference is that the store owner assumes the loss for dead/sick chicks, and those are removed before you show up to get your chicks. Hatching your own does most often result in better viability, if you are skilled at hatching. But, even then, there can be losses due to egg or incubator issues.

This is the problem with chicks from incubators. I never use them. I use medium and small hens to hatch and raise them. The mother hen changes the placement of the eggs not only rotate them. the middle ones she puts them at the margin , she does not leave the eggs to the same temperature. Incubators have the same temperature all the time.

OP did not have issues related to incubation. She had issues related to shipping. Had she received broody hatched chicks in the mail, her outcome would have been the same, given the lengthy shipping time.

Not all incubators are the same, nor do they all maintain the same temperature throughout the box. It takes skill to know your bator, and even to adjust the interior environment to achieve the optimal hatch. And someone who knows their incubator is able to manage those warmer/cooler spots in the bator, and rotate the eggs through those spots. While we all know that broody hatching is optimal, not everyone has a broody, or even has the facilities to manage a broody in their coop/run/yard. I'm glad you have that broody option, and hope you are able to hatch some extra chicks for members of your community.

Last edited:
UPDATE

Lost for more last night had 2 not acting right so went to TSC and got (save a chick) electrolyte and (save a chick) prebiotic and
Nutri-drench and mixed it all in there water and now everyoneis doen great. But I don't know how often or how long to give it to them can anyone help with that??

Sorry I haven't updated, I've been staying very busy with the chickens. So out of the second batch 8 out of 25 lived. Polish actually have holes in their skulls and can suffer from head trauma from shipping. I've learned my lesson, I will never ship a fragile breed again.

Oh I'm so sad for you losses.i never had a lot of success with shipped chicks either. Now i get local eggs or shipped started birds. They will get one drop each of nutri drench when they arrive or hatch. Then one half teaspoon in a quart waterer for the next two weeks to get them off to a strong start. Best , Karen

Back
Top Bottom