Dying chicks

Its just sprung to my mind that i was looking after some friends chicks at the same time as mine hatched. Hers were doing the exact same as mine, and i was handling the dead ones, and could of forgotten to wash my hands. I wore gloves, but didnt change my cloves or anything. She was really sad, and the time the last one had died, my chicks had hatched (about half the batch). She had everything perfect. Temp to the location.

Did your friend's eggs/chicks come from the same place ? The same farm or hens ?

I am having trouble thinking of anything (disease) that will kill a newly hatched chick in 4 days. Starvation/dehydration or being chilled/overheated are the only things that comes to mind.

(Please don't think I am blaming you for starving them.) I am trying to help you with this problem. Nobody likes to lose chicks under any circumstances, and we need to figure this out before the next chicks come along.

hugs.gif

Erhm, well she used her own eggs like i did. Mostly silkie cross breads. She had welsummers, accept hers were about 4 weeks old, so this confuses me even more.. ><

Back
Top Bottom