Dying ducklings for Easter.....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TattooQ27, Jan 20, 2010.

1. TattooQ27

TattooQ27 Chillin' With My Peeps

I am thinking about trying to hatch out some ducklings for Easter if my testers come back with decent results. I know someone who has had a lot of success with dying the ducklings before they hatch and I was considering asking him to dye some of mine. My sister is a photographer and I was going to let her use the ducklings for some Easter photo shoots. I am trying to find out if dying the ducklings is illegal or not but all I can find it that in NYS it is illegal to sell baby poultry that has been dyed or colored. Since we wouldn't be selling them, just using them for photos, would we be breaking any laws? Is there a way to check into that? We probably would eventually sell the ducklings but not until they had their natural colors/feathers back since we would not be ok with selling them as a novelty just so someone could ditch them as soon as the colors wore off.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I think you are right...it is not illegal to do it yourself, but there is something you have to deal with if you sell them. You wouldn't be breaking any laws. You can dye them two ways:
    1. Inject food coloring into the egg into a certain place at a certain time
    2. Once the ducklings hatch, cover them with food coloring.

The latter is definetly the safer of the two. But definetly rememeber to post pics when you get them.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    If you just want them for photos, isn't there some way to change their colors in the photos without subjecting the ducklings to dye?

4. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    Photoshop!

5. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    I just had a visual..

[​IMG]

6. protodon

protodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Nottingham,PA
  7. TattooQ27

Quote:LOL, yep photoshop but I am not good with it. I do have it though so I might play around on there for a bit and see what I can come up with.

8. TattooQ27

Quote:I did check out the link (thanks!) but they are really expensive and since I already have everything I would need here and can do it for free, I would prefer not to spend all that money.

9. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I just get creeped out by thinking babies would be covered with dye. Hope the photoshop thing works out, it seems like a more humane way to go. JMO

10. GrannySue

GrannySue Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Me too. Even though the dye used for animals is allegedly harmless. See, I wouldn't think of doing anything artificial like that to a baby animal, that I wouldn't do to a real baby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by