Dying Hen, is there anything I can do?

Run Wild

Songster
Sep 20, 2016
I have a five year old he who woke up this morning lethargic. When I checked on my hens today she was still on the roost, sleeping deeply, while drooling. I've separated her from the others hens, and have attempted to give her water with ACV and food, but all she's done is fall asleep standing. She is old, so I doubt she will recover, but she is very precious to me and I'm just wondering if their is anything I could do that might possibly save her?

I have a five year old he who woke up this morning lethargic. When I checked on my hens today she was still on the roost, sleeping deeply, while drooling. I've separated her from the others hens, and have attempted to give her water with ACV and food, but all she's done is fall asleep standing. She is old, so I doubt she will recover, but she is very precious to me and I'm just wondering if their is anything I could do that might possibly save her?
A vet would be best, but is that is not an option, get her in a warm room, check her for mite and lice and see if you can get her to drink warm water or gatorade.

A vet would be best, but is that is not an option, get her in a warm room, check her for mite and lice and see if you can get her to drink warm water or gatorade.
Sadly, taking her to a vet isn't an option. Thank you for the other advice though, I'll do what I can.

I have some older hens. They can become ill with such problems as an impacted or sour crop, or suffer from a reproductive disorder, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, or cancer. Give her some water with electrolytes and vitamins, offer some chopped egg and wet chicken feed. Examine her crop to check if it is hard or doughy, puffy, or empty. Check in the early morning to make sure it is empty. If she has not been laying, or is losing weight in her breast area, swollen and spongy or tight in her lower belly, not eating, reluctant to walk, and having diarrhea, those are some common signs of EYP. As Casportpony said, examine her for mites and try to get her to drink some electrolytes or poultry vitamins first. Many sick chickens will readily eat some cooked egg.

Back
Top Bottom