Dying quail PLEASE HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by melissa41927, Oct 22, 2011.

1. melissa41927

melissa41927 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    northeast corner al
    i started out with 5 texas blue scale quail. over the past two days two have died and one looks all fluffed up. we have been having colder weather with fall coming on. i live in alabama so its not extreme. i keep the quail in a 8 x 8 coop on the ground with coturnix quail. the only symptom are being fluffed up. when i examine them after they die it looks like they just shut their eye and went to sleep. their craws are empty. any advise would be appreciated.

they are about 5 months old and are eating game bird starter.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  2. Game Bird Guy

Game Bird Guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Victoria
    I am no expert, I'm just good with birds, but I'd just bring them indoors to be safe. Aren't they desert birds too? My coturnix do the same thing, and they are usually just too cold to eat and drink, and just get weak. Good luck with them. Someone will come along who has them.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Have you tried worming them? Worms can be very draining on them. Have you used any Sevin powder on them to keep the mites down and do they have a dust bath area? Mites will kill them. Have you checked the feed to make sure it is not moldy, old or too stale? Is the pen dry? And are they kept dry or have they gotten too wet lately? Are they kept in the same pen as the Coturnix or do they have their own pen? If they are with the Cots, how are they acting? Just a few questions.

4. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    I would take them out of the pen with the cots. They are probably beating them up. I had a few bobs all fluffed up and they were being picked on. Took them out and they started acting fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by