Dying quail

Respectfully, I have not found that to be the case.
It's not a "You will definitely experience issues," but a "You are more likely to experience issues.". There are a lot of other factors that go into it such as how long you keep them, how clean you keep them, etc.

There are plenty of wrong ways to raise quail, but there are plenty of right ways too. There is no one, true way.

It's not a "You will definitely experience issues," but a "You are more likely to experience issues.". There are a lot of other factors that go into it such as how long you keep them, how clean you keep them, etc.

There are plenty of wrong ways to raise quail, but there are plenty of right ways too. There is no one, true way.
How do you keep the poop from sticking to their feet when they are not on a wire? (My wire in my Wynola Ranch cage is 1/2”x1” pvc-coated wire not “bare” wire so I think it greatly reduces the risk of cuts, but it is still wire. While the chicks are small and in the Dale’s quails Brooder, even if I am changing blue shop towels or bounty super absorbent towels twice a day, by the time the Jumbo Brown Coturnix are 7-10 days old, the poop starts sticking and drying on their feet. That is dramatically reduced and almost never happens once I transition them to the 1/2” x 1/2” hard cloth).

Also, how do you keep poop from getting on the eggs?

Last edited:
How do you keep the poop from sticking to their feet when they are not on a wire? (My wire in my Wynola Ranch cage is 1/2”x1” pvc-coated wire not “bare” wire so I think it greatly reduces the risk of cuts, but it is still wire. While the chicks are small and in the Dale’s quails Brooder, even if I am changing blue shop towels or bounty super absorbent towels twice a day, by the time the Jumbo Brown Coturnix are 7-10 days old, the poop starts sticking and drying on their feet. That is dramatically reduced and almost never happens once I transition them to the 1/2” x 1/2” hard cloth).

Also, how do you keep poop from getting on the eggs?
If they have enough access to dirt, poop doesn't stick to their feet. I hope the poop under every couple of weeks. They're very cute chasing after the hoe for bugs.

Poop gets on the eggs. Per egg handling guidelines they have to be washed before I can sell them, so I just wash them unless I'm planning on hatching them. In that case, the really dirty ones don't get out in the incubator.

If they have enough access to dirt, poop doesn't stick to their feet. I hope the poop under every couple of weeks. They're very cute chasing after the hoe for bugs.

Poop gets on the eggs. Per egg handling guidelines they have to be washed before I can sell them, so I just wash them unless I'm planning on hatching them. In that case, the really dirty ones don't get out in the incubator.
Oh, so your quail are outside on a dirt floor? What kind of quail are you raising?

Missouri doesn’t have that rule for washing eggs, at least not if you’re selling them under the statutory exemption for selling direct from the farm.

Oh, so your quail are outside on a dirt floor? What kind of quail are you raising?

Missouri doesn’t have that rule for washing eggs, at least not if you’re selling them under the statutory exemption for selling direct from the farm.
I keep Coturnix. I rotate them on my fallow garden beds. When I'm done with a bed, they get it for a couple months. They polish off what plants are left, eat the bugs, and fertilize, then off to the next bed. The beds are close enough that the birds don't seem to mind being moved around. They like the fresh dirt and plants that they get.

Back
Top Bottom