Dying quail

chickchickgoose

Chirping
Dec 22, 2022
Our quail are dying. It seems to come in spurts of two.

We started with a total of 40 quail at the beginning of November. We culled 3 know roo at that time. Now the quail won't stop dying. We've been losing at least 2 a week.

Things that are important to know.

They are on kalmbach wild flush which is 28% protein. It doesn't have grit in it.

It's cold here, they are in an 8 by 8 shed with straw bedding, and the top of a dog crate do huddle in if they are too cold. However, yesterday we put a heat lamp out (they can't get to it) it see if that may help. I don't think it's the cold though as they have been dying on warm days too.

The shed has 7" ceilings so I don't think they are breaking their necks.

I am not positive of the age but my best guess is this years hatch since the person we purchased from wanted to get rid if them before winter.

We did find that there were quite a few roos so we culled more but still have had deaths since.

My husband said one was twitchy and others were attacking it. By time I checked on it, it was dead.

Another was being picked on, so I separated it right away. It seemed like she was eating and drinking fine for 2 days. She seemed alert and nothing seemed amiss so I was going to put her back. She was dead when I went back out.

Those are the only two times something seemed off. Other than that, no symptoms at all. No blood, no feathers laying around. No marks at all.

We did have a really hard time keeping their water clean because the only heated waterer I could find is for chickens, so they would constantly walk in it and poop in it, but we changed it out for a heated nipple waterer that they have learned to use.

We put a tin of sand in with them for enrichment and grit (which I read they don't even need so long as they are only on crumble) just in case.

The one that died today was near the heat source.

If you read this far, thank you. I'd appreciate any input I can get.

I did consider a necropsy but it is $200 for a birds I purchased for $2 a piece and also several hours away from where we live.

I always steered clear of it for the chickens. Actually didn't realize it was medicated until I went in to purchase medicated feed just in case of coccidiosis. That's when I found out.

I really appreciate you taking time to try to help me out. I do know necropsy is the best way to find out but it's hard to justify $200 on birds we spent $80 total on and aren't positive of the ages.

It probably sounds harsh but it's our reality at the moment.
I understand not wanting to spend the money for the necropsy. Everyone has their circumstances and reasons. I'm not about to judge, at least.

I'm going to keep an eye on this thread and see how things develop. I'm sure we'll both learn something.

From what I can decifer, I would have to suspect UE, Ulcerative Enteritus, also known as Quail disease....especially if you bought them from a "breeder" instead of hatching them out yourself. UE is primarily found in Bobwhites but other species of quail can get the disease.

If you have read anything about UE and it sounds as if you have researched it, it kills very fast...symptoms are, yellowish diarrhea, fluffed up appearance, lethargic, and when they expire there will usually be a fair amount of yellowish urate feces next to the body (from my own experiences with UE).

Treatment should be started immediately, Tetracycline, Oxytetracycline, Duramycin, Bacitracin and Streptomycin are the usual drugs given....Duramycin and Bacitracin you can get without a 'script' from a vet. They can be found at most feed stores.

Contaminated dirty waterers, feed pans/trays that have fecal matter in them are the usual vector for UE to thrive. Once it has a host, it spreads like 'wildfire' through a flock, so it's very important to start treatment ASAP!

I
wish you the best if luck!

It spreads like wildfire, very quickly. No, it would not hurt to treat them. Some may die without obvious signs of the disease or weight loss. Infected birds and especially those that are chronically affected will be lethargic and anorexic, they will appear to be 'hunched up' with retracted necks and closed eyes.
If they are infected, their droppings will be very evident if it's UE by the yellowish coloration and streaked with urates and usually surround with a watery ring.

Primarily the lesions will be found in the lower small intestine, ceca and liver. The lesions or ulcers will be well defined and ~ 5mm in diameter, they may be yellow in color.
Liver lesions will appear as yellow, necrotic foci or have an irregular shape. The other organ that can have lesions too, is the spleen, which will be enlarged and appear to be necrotic or hemorrhagic.

If you're conducting the necropsy, be sure to wear latex gloves and to wash your hands and any clothing that may be contaminated, throughly, afterwards to prevent cross contamination
HTH
Thank you very much for the information. I really really appreciate it. Unfortunately we seem to be unable to find the medication locally and have to order it. Hopefully it makes it here soon with the holidays.

Respectfully, I have not found that to be the case.
It's not a "You will definitely experience issues," but a "You are more likely to experience issues.". There are a lot of other factors that go into it such as how long you keep them, how clean you keep them, etc.

There are plenty of wrong ways to raise quail, but there are plenty of right ways too. There is no one, true way.

@007Sean may have more ideas than I do.

Does their poop look normal?
Is their feed kept in a cool, dry, place?
To be honest I don't know what it is suppose to look like but it seems normal. It is honestly hard to tell if it is runny because of the straw. Sometime there is whitish poop. The one that I separated appeared to have normal poop. Maybe lighter than some of the other droppings I've seen.

Their food is kept in the shed with them. So it stays dry.

How long ago did you change your watering system?

I'm wondering if it's coccidiosis, but that will usually show symptoms in their poop.

Itight be worth it to get the necropsy if it saves your covey and prevents future issues.
We changed it about 3 days ago. I thought maybe coccidiosis too but their feed is medicated.

I do wonder if it maybe ulcerative enteritis but I'm not sure how that plays out in a flock.

Back
Top Bottom