Dying rooster - How to care for him in his last moments...?

All bad advise
Not entirely. Depends how severe. If there is a very slim chance of survival it needs to be done. If there is a chance of survival you take that chance. You will feel guilty if you believe there was a chance. What you have to think is what they want. Do they want to live? I’m sure they are trying to get through it. I don’t think we should intervene with their suffering.

Last edited:
Maybe it's me, but this thread left me completely frustrated... Of course I hope Apache gets better, but to have him suffer for this long without a vet, or professional to access or help him humanly pass... Or treat this poor animal.. Im just aggravated

Well your not God quit acting like it
No, he's not the hand of God...but when we make ourselves responsible for the care/ life of a living creature...we take that responsibility..full. if that means ending the suffering for that animal..yes, it's never EVER easy.but it's necessary. I have been in the situation to make a responsible decision. What's best for that animal..not what's easy for ourselves.

Ok, I killed my first chicken when I was nine. Your gonna be fine, lop his head off and move on. Its a chicken, people, a chicken.
You are repeatedly being cruel, mean, and heartless to someone who is, understandably, upset and is not going to do this to her chicken and I agree. He is not that bad yet, per her description and no one knows how much he is actually "suffering". Too many people kill animals far too soon and it's usually for themselves, not what's best for the animal is far too many cases. Get over yourself.

Let him be. He will pass when the time is right for him. Trying to kill him won't make you feel better but guilty
Excellent advice. Humans are far too quick to kill things, everything. Apache has made it thus far and from the beginning it didn't sound like he was dying at all. I have never had to kill a chicken, ever. Nor does any of my flock get injured or sick. That said, when the time for an animal to die comes, they will , and robbing them of that process, just like with people, is selfish. Unless the animal is thrashing around, making noises that indicate it is in pain, or other obvious signs of severe distress, for dying to be the process it's supposed to be it should be done without intervention. That's probably not what you intended to say but those are my experiences from decades of farm life and taking care of not only animals but people.

@Papaye, you obviously care a lot for Apache. Do what you feel is best for him. You have received a lot of good advice. If he’s meant to survive this, he will. If he begins to fade even further, then you can see him pass away knowing that you did what you could for him. I’m sorry. 😞 I understand what you’re going through. Many of us have struggled making hard decisions with our flocks. I hope for you that Apache recovers.

Last edited:
I am SO sorry about your Brahma boy.Brahmas are my favorite breed-My very first chicken was a dark Brahma hen named "Bright-Eyes"--she set THE Gold standard for the perfect pet.She died in1977 suddenly after 10 years,and not a day goes by I don't think about her. I have always had Brahmas in the intervening years,and currently have a purebreed light and dark Brahma roosters,and a dark Brahma mix.And several hens.Have you ever heard of Nutra-Drench? Sold in Tractor Supply feedstores,and available online,I have found it to work amazing results.It comes in a small white plastic bottle with yellow label,meant for supplying essential vitamins,minerls and other ingredients to boost immunity in sick or vitamin-deficient animals.I have a little red Iso-Brown hen,hatched naturally under her mother,but with a vitamin deficiency that means she cannot stand up unless she has this Nutra-Drench.Born healthy and normal,after she was about 3 months old,she suddenly started staggering badly and could not stand up until I tried this stuff-Now,at a year old,she is totally normal,as long as I give her a few squirts in her water daily.She will probably need this the rest of her life. Your rooster may have the same problem-some kind of deficiency that showed up later,like my hen..I have found this is THE ONLY thing that works.You use the self contained dropper to put a few drops in his water,and on his food-or for quicker results,squirt a few drops in his mouth. And KEEP HIM WARM,preferably indoors,or in a warm enclosed space,near a sunlit window if you have a barn or garage.. Maybe put a couple of his pals close by for company and motivation-where he can see and hear them,but where they can't get to him.Try giving him chick starter,or some type of high protein diet.If necessary,put a little water in the food to make a mash-sick chickens will eat that when they won't eat dry food It feeds and hydrates them at the same time.And,above all-DON'T give up on him! People,even vets,use the old "quality of life"argument. RUBBISH!! Dead is NOT a quality of life! Give him TIME,LOTS of attention,petting-Brahmas respond especially well to that--and keep hoping!

Last edited:
You are repeatedly being cruel, mean, and heartless to someone who is, understandably, upset and is not going to do this to her chicken and I agree. He is not that bad yet, per her description and no one knows how much he is actually "suffering". Too many people kill animals far too soon and it's usually for themselves, not what's best for the animal is far too many cases. Get over yourself.
You can say that again--I SO AGREE! there are a number of times I was sure I was going to lose one,only to have them "come back from the dead".I gave a STRONG indignant rebuttal to my vet,the time my duck only broke her leg,when she told me to "just put 'em down".That duck live nearly 15 YEARS after that! Our chickens,as living creatures,DESERVE EVERY BIT as much right at a chance to live! No,they are not humans(good thing!),but they STILL should have our best care,as they trust us,and depend on us for that. P.S.-my little black bantam Cochin rooster-with a heart murmur-is going to be SIXTEEN years old next month.No,that is not a misprint-16! That,in human years,is 160 years old!

Last edited:
Bigtom Turkey has got a point. But I do get frustrated when people see the cure to pain in pets is killing. If it gets too much for them and cannot possibly get any better the work has to be done. You cant let them suffer. If you believe there is a chance keep them and if it dies at least you know you tried. I hate killing animals as it is murder but sometimes it may be necessary. It’s up to the owner to make the decision. Do not try pushing the owner to do it or not to do it. If they feel it’s right then let it be.

Last edited:
That,in human years,is 160 years old!
That is a bit strange to say. A good chicken, not killed by a predator or a human, can easily become 10 and even 15 yo. I’m not talking about laying hybrids but about old heritages breeds and mixes from a large gene pool.

If a really old chicken can become over 20 yo. It seems more realistic to multiply with 5 and not with 10. Therefore I believe your oldest is almost ‘80’ compared with humans.

@Papaye, you obviously care a lot for Apache. Do what you feel is best for him.
Nicely spoken.

Back
Top Bottom