Dying/sick roo’s only

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Hello!

Thanks in advance for your help.

One of my roosters died this morning and another is sick. After further examination, I noticed that they have blackish/white non odor pasty butt. Their poo is literally hard and stuck to their vent. NONE of the hens are sick and they do not have any symptoms at all.
Any ideas what could cause this? Remedy?

Thanks

Attachments

• CBE8A38F-EF5C-4C85-A280-C2CD0DD34998.jpeg
    CBE8A38F-EF5C-4C85-A280-C2CD0DD34998.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 6
Better non blurry pictures please? Also, can you get full body pictures of the sick birds?

A good list of all symptoms, & diet will help also.

I am not with them at present. I was told that the one that died was acting normal the morning. No other symptoms, and they are around 4years old.
They are all on rural king layer pellet feed and have been since taken off chick food.
i do kno what pasty butt looks like, however I have only seen it once or twice in adult birds, and they were hens with upper respiratory infections.
what truly has me baffled is that this is only happening to the roosters.

I am not with them at present. I was told that the one that died was acting normal the morning. No other symptoms, and they are around 4years old.
They are all on rural king layer pellet feed and have been since taken off chick food.
i do kno what pasty butt looks like, however I have only seen it once or twice in adult birds, and they were hens with upper respiratory infections.
what truly has me baffled is that this is only happening to the roosters.
Layer feed is harmful to roosters if fed long term. It causes long term kidney damage, due to the excess amount of calcium it contains.

For anyone with Roosters it's best to feed a Flock Raiser, or all flock feed, & offer free choice oyster shells in a separate container/feeder for the hens.

Layer feed is harmful to roosters if fed long term. It causes long term kidney damage, due to the excess amount of calcium it contains.

For anyone with Roosters it's best to feed a Flock Raiser, or all flock feed, & offer free choice oyster shells in a separate container/feeder for the hens.
Oh my! If that’s the case, what should I do now? Also, thanks for your speedy reply.

Oh my! If that’s the case, what should I do now? Also, thanks for your speedy reply.
Switch feed, so this way the next roosters you have won't suffer the same fate. Switching the feed would also help identify if that was the issue all along.

Should I give them vitamin K, or anything to help them?

Back
Top Bottom