Dying your baby chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
That is probably the funniest thing I have ever heard! I had the idea of hatching chicks and dying them, and then selling them..... Can you do it perminantly????

Most states prohibit selling dyed chicks in the US, and it only last until the chick molts.

I like them the way they come too. I just want to state, it does not harm them. They always have poop in their hair or mud and to me these are house chickens/pets so I keep them very clean. Since I bathe them all the time I tried it. It's not sticky, it's just colored water. Just getting in my denfese mode in case someone has a problem. It lasts about 2 weeks but less if you bathe them often. The nail polish I use is pet safe too. I paint all my girl chickens nails too...not just silkies.

I also sold 6 silkies for $80.00...the dying didnt help it was just a bonus. If you dont know how to bathe chickens do try it!

Last edited:
Quote:
lau.gif
yuckyuck.gif
That is probably the funniest thing I have ever heard! I had the idea of hatching chicks and dying them, and then selling them..... Can you do it perminantly????

Most states prohibit selling dyed chicks in the US, and it only last until the chick molts.

I think my biggest problem with the dying and selling chicks idea is that people might purchase the chicks for the wrong reasons. I know there used to be a big problem with people buying dyed chicks for their kids for Easter presents, like they were toys and the folks who purchased them had no clue how to care for them and weren't really interested in having a chicken or giving that chicken what it needed to be healthy and happy. The mortality rate was very high with these poor babies. I don't think it is that the actual dying hurts the chicks, it is that it encouraged irresponsible purchasing. If you are just having a little fun with your own chickens, and they don't object, I think that's a different issue. IMHO

I see people dying the fur on their dogs and painting dog nails. In fact, the last time I was at the groomer, they had a price listing for painted toe nails. (for dogs) I don't think I see the harm in a kool aid bath, but I certainly would not sell them in that condition. Feathers come out constantly- there is no way to make it permanent.

Funny that PP dyes and paints her silkies! Never even heard of anyone doing that to a chicken. Just to dogs! I have used finger paint and glitter on my horses for parades, though...
hu.gif

I personally think one need be insane to do such preposterous things to an animal. Yeah, go ahead and do that kind of junk to yourself, that's you and your body - but to an animal just because *you* think it's cute, or fun, or funny or simply can?! (this was the nicest way I could say this, because if I said what I really wanted to, I'd get kicked off the forum!)

Quote:
I'm siding with you here. Just because something is sold at a pet store does not make it healthy. I've worked for a major toy retailer for many years, and you'd br surprised at how many toys are axed out of the system as being unsafe for children, then repackaged and marketed to pet suppliers as fun for pets. In many cases, there is no monitoring at all; for some items, it is simply a numbers game, easily manipulated. Companies hire the right trained people to keep all under the wire. As far as what one puts in and on a creature you are responsible for, common sense gleamed through communication works well, and asking is a good thing! Let's look at a few examples: Ol Roy food has major sales. But research indicates that it is not healthy, just a filler. But people buy into it because it is popular, and a quick look at their beloved pet indicates this is true.

Do research on nail care, and although there isn't enough proof out yet, studies on humans alone and color show spikes of long term muscle issues, not to mention fumes breathed in. Chickens have smaller lungs. Contrary to what some say, any dyes are a risk. If what your chicken ingests changes the egg - then so does what it comes into contact with. Try this: take a piece of fresh garlic, cut it in half, rub it on the sole of one of your feet. Wait for it...wait for it...can you taste it? Or try this: lift a specific amount of weights for one minute. Keep count. Wait a while, then go back: first sprinkle a little sugar on the palm of one hand.lift the weights again for the same amount of time. Note the difference.

Chickens are small creatures. Applying dye, even koolaide based isn't healthy. Pediatricians worldwide would love to get this off market. Even without sugar, in humans case studies show higher levels associated with autism, ADD, ADHD. In comparison to size, that would be like humans bathing I'm a case of the stuff.

With children/infants , the rule of thumb is if you can't ingest it yourself, toss it. If you can't ingest the equivalent in comparison to chickens, the same should hold true.

Maybe when we humans can act like chickens and produce eggs we can then raise chickens to resemble humans.

Quote:
I'm siding with you here. Just because something is sold at a pet store does not make it healthy. I've worked for a major toy retailer for many years, and you'd br surprised at how many toys are axed out of the system as being unsafe for children, then repackaged and marketed to pet suppliers as fun for pets. In many cases, there is no monitoring at all; for some items, it is simply a numbers game, easily manipulated. Companies hire the right trained people to keep all under the wire. As far as what one puts in and on a creature you are responsible for, common sense gleamed through communication works well, and asking is a good thing! Let's look at a few examples: Ol Roy food has major sales. But research indicates that it is not healthy, just a filler. But people buy into it because it is popular, and a quick look at their beloved pet indicates this is true.

Do research on nail care, and although there isn't enough proof out yet, studies on humans alone and color show spikes of long term muscle issues, not to mention fumes breathed in. Chickens have smaller lungs. Contrary to what some say, any dyes are a risk. If what your chicken ingests changes the egg - then so does what it comes into contact with. Try this: take a piece of fresh garlic, cut it in half, rub it on the sole of one of your feet. Wait for it...wait for it...can you taste it? Or try this: lift a specific amount of weights for one minute. Keep count. Wait a while, then go back: first sprinkle a little sugar on the palm of one hand.lift the weights again for the same amount of time. Note the difference.

Chickens are small creatures. Applying dye, even koolaide based isn't healthy. Pediatricians worldwide would love to get this off market. Even without sugar, in humans case studies show higher levels associated with autism, ADD, ADHD. In comparison to size, that would be like humans bathing I'm a case of the stuff.

With children/infants , the rule of thumb is if you can't ingest it yourself, toss it. If you can't ingest the equivalent in comparison to chickens, the same should hold true.

Maybe when we humans can act like chickens and produce eggs we can then raise chickens to resemble humans.

x3

The obvious problem that I would expect with a Kool-Aid dyed chick, or any dyed chick, would be it's likelihood of being pecked by other chicks in the brooder...especially if dyed pink or red, which is a color that is especially attractive to chicks. Add to this the sweet, pleasant taste of sugar-soaked feathers and down...
Plus, I'd be curious to see what the effect on humans would be if they soaked in bathwater with 10 lbs of sugar dissolved into it.
Seeing how incredibly happy my chicks are with a good dust bath
yippiechickie.gif
, I think I'll just leave it at that. I find the natural, lustrous and irridescent colors of their emerging feathers to be so amazing and beautiful, I wouldn't ever dream of doing anything to interfere with it.

First of all....my side job is a pet groomer. The Koolaid I use has no sugar. I have a coop for silkies only and never have they been pecked on. This isnt something I do all the time it's an every now and then thing. If you use regualar hair dye or food coloring that would harm them. A Kool aid bath will not. I have done my research and they will not be harmed. My chickens are my pets, they get pampered just like my dogs and cats do.

This can be a divisive subject. I'm personally ok with it as long as the animal isn't hurt/harmed by it but I would not do it.

BTW, Why are there two posts on this topic/subject?

I personally love seeing dyed animals. I saw a very little girl (maybe 7 or 8) carrying a cotton candy pink maltese when I was at Lowe's one time, and it amused me to no end. As long as the dye is something animal safe like Kool-aid, I don't see any problem with it. I know some people don't like it, but it's not like the animals care either way, so I say if coloring your pet crazy colors makes you happy, go for it! If I had some white silkies, I'd be tempted to do this as well, but it would probably be for Halloween or something in my case. I don't have the time or dedication to wash my pets just to make them rainbow colored.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom