E-Bay eggs??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bluemtndiva, Mar 20, 2013.

1. bluemtndiva

bluemtndiva New Egg

May 8, 2012
    I think I've read a few posts about some of you hatching eggs that you got from ebay...

I am seeking opinions, thoughts, reviews on this way of obtaining babies....
    good, bad, ugly.....

Thanks in advance.....

oxoxoxox

2. LauraNJ

LauraNJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Well, I am waiting for the mailman to bring 3 boxes of hatching eggs. I am hoping for a 50% hatch rate. I've hatched many eggs but never had shipped eggs so this is an experiment for me. I am really praying it turns out successful and the eggs aren't damaged.

I will update on how the eggs did. I have 1 coming from FL and 2 coming from NC. It is a gamble though. Both of my sellers specified packing eggs individually in bubble wrap and packing peanuts, etc and they had great feedback with shipping eggs so I decided to take a chance but am realistic to know that this is my gamble. If the eggs were too shaken or boxes crushed or left overnight in subfreezing temps that I may be lucky to have a few hatch out.

THere was one seller who specified using an egg carton and they had a few negatives from buyers about broken eggs. I stayed away from sellers that either did not say how they packed or had negatives, more than one, about poor packaging and broken eggs.

I am planning for my feedback to be based on the packaging quality, not hatch rate although I may follow up later with the hatch rate, if it is decent.

1 person likes this.
  3. Margiechickmom

Margiechickmom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    Rural NE North Carolina
    I bought eggs on Ebay and I would never do it again. I bought them for my son's science fair project so I wasn't as invested in the results as the ones I have hatching today.

Anyway, I bought black sex links so that I could identify roosters at hatch (I can't keep roosters). 1 lonely egg hatched and it was a white chicken. She now is white with some tan on her. I messaged the seller and asked her what other kind of chickens she raised because this was not a black sex link and she told me it must be a rooster. Duh! I still don't know what kind she is.....mutt of some sort. I would rather buy them from here where the people are more knowledgeable.

That's my 2 cents, anyway.

4. LauraNJ

LauraNJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    So, the eggs arrived, YAY!

All individually wrapped in bubble wrap. One seller put the wrapped eggs in an egg carton, taped it shut- huge gap because of the bubble wrap so they had air, and then wrapped the outside of the carton in bubblewrap.

2nd seller wrapped individually and then placed in tightly packed peanuts..

All eggs are whole, not a crack on one of them. Ordered 8 Salmon Faverolles, received 10,
    Ordered 10 American Bresse, received 12 and ordered 8 Swedish Flowering hens and received 9.

The eggs are cold. Not as cold as the ones in my fridge (that is set to 38) but I would say they are around 45F. I have them on my bed, big end up, coming to room temp then they will go in the incubator and we will see what happens. I am a little worried about the cold.

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

unless they are cracked or frozen you will have the same luck as anyone of us with shipped eggs

good luck.

i have shipped favs and swedes going into lockdown tonight

6. rockinro

rockinro Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    I bought 8 eggs from Ebay, all came packaged separately in bubble wrap and enclosed inside bubble wrap - carton. No eggs were cracked. I let them settle 24 hours, put them in on March 5th. 4 of the 9 are bad...so far. 7 of the 9 had detached air cells. Upon cracking the 4 bad ones open on Day 12, there was just yellow yolks pouring out of them, they never even began it appeared. The other 4 do have veins and embryos in them which I can see from candling. Hatch day is March 26th.

7. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    i got 13 silkie eggs off ebay, 12/13 were perfect the last had a tiny crack i tried patching up, but nothing ever grew out of it. They should be hatching in 4 days and i still have 10 of them growing strong, so we shall see! I'm trying not to get too attached in case none hatch...

8. fatcatx

fatcatx Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a 10% hatch rate our of two separate shipments. 25% began development but stopped between day 8-11. I am a novice but I think the odds were stacked against me. Air pockets were a mess despite all efforts to salvage them. Most of the eggs we cracked open were clearly scrambled by their USPS handling*. I was surprised I got anything as they managed to hatch out of "saddle" air pockets. I think I just got lucky to get the 10%. Happy I tried it but will not deal with shipped eggs again. Too much effort and angst (& $$!) for so little.

*edit - eggs were very well packed so I don't think there was anything more the seller could have done.

Last edited: May 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by