E Coli vs Coryza

Twinsoffaith

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2015
i bought 2 Roos that were sick and being new I believed they had allergies. Anyway, they infected the flock and my flock started dying. I treated with Tylan. Took a dead bird to my state vet and the prelim report on the lung tissue yello drainage came back E. coli. I'm thinking the Roos were source cause my cages/coop cleaned regularly. The birds getting sick and dying had awful foul smelling drainage, sneezing, lying around. People told me I had coryza. is the E. coli a secondary infection? What do you think happened? The hen I took in for necropsy had already been treated with Tylan off treatment and kept getting sicker after Tylan. Are my birds carriers? Thanks for help

i bought 2 Roos that were sick and being new I believed they had allergies. Anyway, they infected the flock and my flock started dying. I treated with Tylan. Took a dead bird to my state vet and the prelim report on the lung tissue yello drainage came back E. coli. I'm thinking the Roos were source cause my cages/coop cleaned regularly. The birds getting sick and dying had awful foul smelling drainage, sneezing, lying around. People told me I had coryza. is the E. coli a secondary infection? What do you think happened? The hen I took in for necropsy had already been treated with Tylan off treatment and kept getting sicker after Tylan. Are my birds carriers? Thanks for help

Tylan won't treat E. coli.

-Kathy

The E. coli sure could be secondary to Coryza. If they are pets, you might want to think about treating with enrofloxacin (Baytril).

-Kathy

I agree with you Kathy. The ecoli would be a secondary infection much like if it were MG being a secondary infection with coryza. In addition to Baytril, sulmet or sulfadimethoxine will treat coryza. Baytril is an excellent treatment for ecoli infection. When treating ecoli infections using Baytril, I recommend heavy doses of probiotics also.
All of this said; birds with coryza should be culled. Surviving birds are carriers for life and will infect healthy birds. Ecoli alone can be successfully treated if caught early. A fecal sample sent to a lab will detect severe ecoli infection on a microscopic slide.

Back
Top Bottom