Ear infection?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by salty, Jan 11, 2011.

1. salty

salty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Derry, NH
    My cochin hen had a powdery yellow substance coming from her ear. I got it cleaned but it is returning. The outside get hard but the inside is soft, not runny. Is it an ear infection and what do I do. I love this little hen.

2. avalon23

avalon23 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2009
    Midwest
    Sounds like an ear infection. You need to get her on antibiotics asap.

3. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Is she off balance at all? I think you should call an avian vet and ask what to do. I know for the dogs if they get itchy ears I drop some 50% water and 50% hydrogen peroxide in there but for chickens I am not sure. I did have a 7 wk old chick that was scratching her ear and then progressed to staggering and falling. We put her on Baytril for 3 weeks and she recovered. Maybe if you catch it very early with antibiotics in the water you won't need to hand administer the meds.

4. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Durramycin (or Terramycin) as directed and Lots of yogurt to replenish the good bacteria that the antibiotic is killing. I had a bird with ear infection and she came out of it with this treatment.
    Good luck and try not to stick anything into her ear canal, you may damage her ear by pushing wax in.

5. salty

salty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2009
    Derry, NH
    Thanks She seems fine Eating and drinking and not off balance. As soon as we dig out I will get her some antibiotics

6. OpalRaven7

OpalRaven7 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Poughkeepsie
    How do you dose terramycin for a bird? I don't know of any avian vets in my area and I think my button quail has an ear infection...

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I recommend you flush her ear with hydrogen peroxide, you can use an eyedropper or a syringe without a needle. Do not dilute the hydrogen peroxide. Then pack her ear with neosporin (without pain reliever) and leave it alone. You might have to repeat this in a few days, but this procedure will clear it up.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:See post #7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by