1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Earlobes predict egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vanilla.exe, Oct 10, 2011.

1. vanilla.exe

vanilla.exe Chillin' With My Peeps

I was reading this article "5 Grocery Shopping Myths Busted" and the first entry was that brown eggs are not more nutritious than white eggs. It goes on to say "The color of the eggshell does not affect nutrition, but indicates the color of the bird’s feathers and earlobes. White eggs come from white hens with white earlobes, brown eggs come from red hens with red earlobes. And since brown eggs often cost a bit more than white eggs, you can save a little money and not sacrifice nutrition." This seems like a load of bull to me. My hen is white with blue earlobes, does that mean she should be laying white and blue speckled eggs? (She lays light brown/pinkish eggs :p)

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Only earlobe color matters. However, I've been told that with EEs, earlobe color doesn't matter; they lay whatever.

3. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    vanilla.exe :

I was reading this article "5 Grocery Shopping Myths Busted" and the first entry was that brown eggs are not more nutritious than white eggs. It goes on to say "The color of the eggshell does not affect nutrition, but indicates the color of the bird’s feathers and earlobes. White eggs come from white hens with white earlobes, brown eggs come from red hens with red earlobes. And since brown eggs often cost a bit more than white eggs, you can save a little money and not sacrifice nutrition." This seems like a load of bull to me. My hen is white with blue earlobes, does that mean she should be laying white and blue speckled eggs? (She lays light brown/pinkish eggs :p)

Yep!! My Barred Rock lays zebra eggs, And someone here has a buff Brahma or Orpington, can't remember which, lays gold eggs.
    While it's true that earlobe color does SEEM to coordinate with egg color in a lot of breeds like the leghorn and some others, this is simply NOT true. Some of us have run across this BS at other sites recently too. Foodnetwork mag I think was one, and I ran across this the other day on Walmart's site. It IS true that egg color has no bearing on the nutritional value of an egg. It's the chickens' diet that determines nutritional value of eggs.​

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

The eggs that you get from your flock ARE definately more nutritious, but it doesn't matter what color the egg shell is. Typically people associate brown egg shells with "natural", "farm fresh", and/or "free range", but the color of the egg shell has nothing to do with it.

5. Farm_Maven

Farm_Maven Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Tishomingo
    Quote:Yep!! My Barred Rock lays zebra eggs, And someone here has a buff Brahma or Orpington, can't remember which, lays gold eggs.
    While it's true that earlobe color does SEEM to coordinate with egg color in a lot of breeds like the leghorn and some others, this is simply NOT true. Some of us have run across this BS at other sites recently too. Foodnetwork mag I think was one, and I ran across this the other day on Walmart's site. It IS true that egg color has no bearing on the nutritional value of an egg. It's the chickens' diet that determines nutritional value of eggs.

let me clarify that....while I've yet to see a breed with white lobes that lay a brown egg, there are several breeds that have RED lobes that lay white eggs.

6. vanilla.exe

vanilla.exe Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yep!! My Barred Rock lays zebra eggs, And someone here has a buff Brahma or Orpington, can't remember which, lays gold eggs.
    While it's true that earlobe color does SEEM to coordinate with egg color in a lot of breeds like the leghorn and some others, this is simply NOT true. Some of us have run across this BS at other sites recently too. Foodnetwork mag I think was one, and I ran across this the other day on Walmart's site. It IS true that egg color has no bearing on the nutritional value of an egg. It's the chickens' diet that determines nutritional value of eggs.

xD I need to get in touch with that person whose chicken lays golden eggs!! It's crazy how people will perpetuate myths like this. I guess it should seem obviously false, but then I remember that not everyone keeps chickens!

7. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    It is so silly the myths that get sent around as fact, if this was true, why isn't one silkie cross laying black eggs? And why isn't my silkie laying blue eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by