Early Bird? Egg not hatching after pip

littlepip

Songster
Sep 1, 2018
Minnesota
recently we hatched some duck eggs. 3 hatched healthily, and one isn't due for another 3 days. The one that's not due for 3 days, (we'll call him Fred.) just pipped today. 3 days early?? 12 hours after pipping, Fred had still not made any progress. He only peeps when I tap the egg gently. I removed a small bit of shell, so he can get some air, but I don't think he's ready to hatch yet! Should I help him out even if it IS 3 days early? Or should I wait and hope the membrane doesn't shrink wrap him? I need help!

If I should help him, can someone tell me how?

I haven't hatched ducks before, so my experience is based only off of chickens. I would give him time to sit for a little while before you do anything. Keep your humidity up and give him a few more hours and see if he's progressed at all. I would be very very hesitant to help him out if he's three days early, but I have helped chicks out before. Just keep an eye on him. If he hasn't progressed in a few more hours you could try peeling back a little more shell, very gently and slowly, and stopping if you see any blood whatsoever. Just do a little bit and then leave him alone and see if he can make any more progress on his own.

I have successfully helped two chicks out of the shell, and they were both becoming shrink wrapped when I did. Another I did not intervene with. It pipped and had its beak completely through the hole for a few hours and then passed away. I'm not sure what happened to it or if helping it would've saved it or made it worse.

Helping is a risky business, but sometimes it does need to be done. Just do everything very slowly and carefully and do as little as possible. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom