Early Bumblefoot or Scab?

I would say that one is healed.

That yellow stuff inside is inflammatory tissue/pus. The chicken’s immune system creates it to wall off infections. It needs to come out for the wound to heal properly.

You can soak in epsom and use tweezers or very carefully with a needle to try to remove as much of it as you can. If it bleeds, stop. Blood indicates healthy tissue. Disinfect with betadine or equivalent and then dress it with a drawing salve like prid or magnoplasm. Sometimes there is a definitive “core” that lifts out and sometimes it’s stringy and tenacious. The drawing salve is good to help get out the stringy stuff. If it all comes out easily, pack the wound with betadine & sugar or antibiotic cream and keep clean and covered until it scabs over properly.

I have also had success using salicylic wart pads to soften the surrounding skin which makes it easier to lift out all the infection material.
It's definitely stringy and soft, not a hard or waxy core or nodules like I've read about. It made it really hard to try and remove! Picked and pulled with tweezers which caused a little bleeding so I think the good flesh is maybe just underneath.

Do you think this is something a vet might do and let me watch? It might be good to see how it's done right for the first time at least

Yeah the stringy soft stuff is hard to get rid of…

Absolutely you could take your chicken to a vet. Most likely they would numb the area with a local anaesthetic, debride and flush the wound, stitch it up and prescribe pain meds and/or antibiotics. It would depend on the vet’s practise whether they let you watch or not.

Back
Top Bottom