1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by CoopDeDoo, Jan 8, 2016.

1. TurkenMomma

TurkenMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    I have been putting only 3 eggs in my cart and is still qualifies for free shipping. But, $10 an egg makes me cringe. But I really am curious about what you would end up getting! My calicos and my super blues were about $10 an egg [​IMG]so I didn't let my DH know that!

2. raisechickens

raisechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    CoopDeDoo - yep, that is the one I have.

3. CoopDeDoo

CoopDeDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Please let us know how it goes with that incubator [​IMG]

4. CoopDeDoo

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Do you have chicken ordinances are can you have as many as you want?

5. TurkenMomma

TurkenMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    No ordinances here, but I am at the mercy of my DH and our 0.70 acre lot.

6. CoopDeDoo

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    We have a quarter acre [​IMG]

7. CoopDeDoo

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    As far as price per egg paid - my average is $2.80 but I have paid $4. That is per egg set - not hatched unfortunately. There is no problem selling chicks or chickens here so I can usually break even selling extra chicks for $5, juveniles 5-10 and hens $12-15. Yes I know that doesn't make up for food and other costs but I still have those anyway for the other birds.

Edit to add: If I was able to breed SOP birds - I would certainly consider paying more per egg from a reputable breeder.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  8. raisechickens

raisechickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2015
    CoopDeDoo,

My first time using this incubator I hatched 23 out of 30 eggs. I had 1 day 3-4 quitter and the rest made it to lockdown. Had one deformed chick that did not hatch, and the other 5 that failed to hatch was my fault...didn't turn the temp down enough on days 20 and 21.

I used my thermometer with probe to find the temp of almost every egg holder in the egg racks. It took a couple hours to do this but I now know where the cool spots are. The back corners had the highest variance and are .5 degrees cooler than the rest of the incubator. A couple other similar spots in different areas.

I did find it is VERY important to keep the styrofoam packing material around the incubator to keep the temp steady. You usually have to add a little water every 3 days or so but it does a great job on lockdown if you add a lot of water and a damp sponge.

9. CoopDeDoo

Feb 8, 2011
    NW Washington State
    Nice :) I am window shopping other options.... usually not home enough to babysit the incubator but not quite ready to shell out the bucks on a Brinsea if I only hatch every one to two years[​IMG]

10. LilChickens2

LilChickens2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2015
    Crozet VA
    I caved in and candled my first six. I'm going out of town tonight until Wednesday night for work (and I think my shipped eggs are arriving tomorrow...hopefully my husband can follow instructions on setting them up to recover) and I wanted to see how they were doing. Three looked viable, one I wasn't sure, and in two of the small ones I didn't see anything. Since they don't smell and it is early days, I will keep them in there. When I get back I'll candle my other 5 and put in some of my shipped eggs.

I also ordered another incubator off Amazon and it will be here Wednesday. It looks like a Farm Innovator but it was called something different. It had 4 out of 5 stars so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll hook up Wednesday night when I get home, monitor it all day Thursday, and put the rest of the eggs in on Friday morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by