Early February 2016 Hatch - Who's In?

Woot! You have some good activity, that's awesome!!

...um, its worth reminding others, however, that 2 days early is like a human being born 24 days premature. Not necessarily a goal. The species takes, on average, 21 days. Just an average, its true, but there is a lot of development happening in that 21 days. So if it is crammed, instead, into 19 days...something different happened. Maybe they lost weight faster than typically, maybe the temperature was higher than ideal, but whatever the reason, it shouldn't be a goal.

FWIW, I always give my chicks a stress-aid vitamin/electrolyte supplement in the water for the first week. Its especially useful with early and late hatchers, but I figure they can all use a little boost.
:D totally agree with you there, only thing I can figure is that maybe it's my humidity. So far they are all very lively :) and one new picture coming up as soon as I get some more battery life on my phone.

Just testing the photobucket app
1f38a.png
1f389.png
1f38a.png
1f389.png
1f38a.png
it works.

Last edited:
Trying to read through since I hadn't signed in in awhile! So
Exciting everyone. We started with 9 and ended up
With 3 viable eggs today that just went into lockdown! Keep your fingers crossed for me :). Setting up my brooder now...the shavings were a mess last year, does anyone use paper towels or drawer liner in the brooder? What do you guys suggest?

With 3 viable eggs today that just went into lockdown! Keep your fingers crossed for me :). Setting up my brooder now...the shavings were a mess last year, does anyone use paper towels or drawer liner in the brooder? What do you guys suggest?

I've heard paper towels work well. Don't use newspaper. To slick and the ink is dangerous to the chicks.

I'm using pine shavings, with some paper towels on top for first few days

So far I've been using the drawer liners for the first few days then switching to shavings. It's working great, it gives them a good footing early on then the moisture absorbing of the shavings once worry about footing is not so critical.

I use

I use puppy pee pads- just toss in the trash and holds stuff in so it doesn't get on the brooder floor.

Back
Top Bottom