Early hatch....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by calgal98, Aug 2, 2011.

1. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

So I set my shipped runner duck eggs on saturday. This morning I'm checking for developing embryos and hear this chirping....I have a hatching egg! Obviously the seller sent a developing egg with my *fresh* eggs. I had noticed it when candling, but thought it was just a dead egg. I decided to give it a couple of days because I'm new to duck eggs. So this morning I have a pipping and chirping runner duckling! Ugh...gotta get ready![​IMG]

2. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh my! [​IMG] Well, that was unexpected, eh? I'm surprised the little one made the trip, but then I've seen eggs go cold for more than a day and still develop just fine, so there you go. Congrats!! [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    WOW!!! How amazing!!! Just goes to show how resilient they really can be. Makes me wonder though how in the world the seller could have mixed them up.

A few years ago I bought a few ducks from a lady- who gathered a few eggs from random nests in the yard to give me as well. After 4- 5 days I candled the eggs and found some much more developed than others...in the end between the first and last to hatch there was 6 days. They had been in nests under sheets of iron - and in the summer heat had started developing without the mother sitting on them. But for your egg to be so far along...it must have been sat on by a duck for some time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by