Early Hatching

Swilso3

Chirping
Dec 17, 2019
At 4:00 am this morning i awoke for no reason at all. Its day 17 of my first Egg incubation ever. I decided to go check on my incubator as i had read yesterday that bantams can hatch early. My humidity alarm was fussing so i added warm water to raise the humidity. I then took my flashlight and shined on the eggs as usual to check them. There was a baby chick on the top rack laying between the turner of eggs and the plastic of the incubator. I popped the lid and plucked the chick out. The egg turner had 6 minutes b4 turning. it looks healthy and under light. Now what do i do with the rest of the bantams that look like my others? Hard to tell the bantams as big as the others.

Last edited:
Do you have all bantam in the incubator? are you worried about the others hatching and you not catching them?
Very few Bantam but this chick looks like a Buff now that im calmed down. Yes im afraid more will hatch in the turner and tonight at 9:00 pm is day 18 lockdown

I've accidentally put mine on lock down on day 17 and hatched with no problem.. so if you are really concerned, I'd go ahead and lock them down. Either I am miscounting (which is more than likely happening) but I've had some hatches that started on day 17 and some that didn't happen till day 22 to start. Glad your little one is looking good, I've got a hatch set that will be hatching on the 16th of Feb.

Eggs set together tend to hatch together too - sounds like it's time to turn off the turner. Wow, that's super early though. I've heard of day 19 hatches, but 17... good to know it's made it out without a fuss.

Sounds like you've been given good advice already.

After day 14 turning isn't as important, you shouldn't hurt your other little ones at all by stopping the turner now. Usually I'll stop turning on day 18 but I've stopped turning on day 16 a couple times and had good results. :)

Good luck with your hatch, and congratulations on your first chick! :D

Eggs set together tend to hatch together too - sounds like it's time to turn off the turner. Wow, that's super early though. I've heard of day 19 hatches, but 17... good to know it's made it out without a fuss.
I know right and this is my first hatch. They all were put in together so i dont know whats going on. I did go ahead and put them on lockdown and another hatched this morning. I dont know what i would do without BYC friends. Thank You, everyone is such a blessing

Sounds like you've been given good advice already.

After day 14 turning isn't as important, you shouldn't hurt your other little ones at all by stopping the turner now. Usually I'll stop turning on day 18 but I've stopped turning on day 16 a couple times and had good results. :)

Good luck with your hatch, and congratulations on your first chick! :D
Thank You and this is good to know as i will always have Bantams in my mix tho this looks like an Orpington

Back
Top Bottom