Early integration method

Duhonmommie

Songster
Mar 10, 2021
Louisiana
If I use the early integration method with my chicks, how do I prevent them from eating my layer feed for my older birds. Also, can roos eat layer feed? Or do they need something else somehow? I'm hoping one of my lavenders is a roo.

I had 3 chicks i gave to a broody hen to raise for me. She fed them layer feed, table scraps, and whatever else she could find in the yard and they're all doing fine. She took them at 2 weeks old. The chick's are 3 months old now my rooster a jersey giant eats the same things my hens get. Some people on here frown on a mother hen being able to find their own food and raise babies but they've been doing it for a long time.

Also, is there a reason I can't combine these chicks? I need to clean out their bedding and would like to contain the littles while I do.
IMG_20210312_123245513.jpg
IMG_20210312_123331991.jpg

If I use the early integration method with my chicks, how do I prevent them from eating my layer feed for my older birds. Also, can roos eat layer feed? Or do they need something else somehow? I'm hoping one of my lavenders is a roo.
Easiest way: feed the whole flock chick starter, and make sure there's a dish of oyster shell available for the layers.

The only special thing about layer feed is that it has more calcium than other chicken feeds. If you have a separate dish of oyster shell, the laying hens will usually eat enough for themselves, and the roosters and chicks will mostly ignore it. (They will sample a bit to see how it tastes, but won't eat enough to cause any problems for themselves.)

Too much calcium can be bad for any chicken that is not laying eggs (roosters, growing chicks, molting hens, broody hens.) If they eat that much calcium for a long time, some of them will have problems, while some others may seem fine. I don't know of any way to tell in advance which ones would have problems from the extra calcium in layer feed, and which would not.

Instead of chick starter, you can also use food labeled grower or flock raiser or all-flock.

Back
Top Bottom