Early Molt in first year?

Prushanks

Songster
Aug 6, 2020
Hey all!

Quick question, I have a flock of 10 that are 8.5 months (almost 38wks - hatched 3/1/23) and several of them have been molting last couple weeks! New feathers growing in decreased egg production etc. I can’t remember when my last flock started molting but I don’t think it was in their 1st year.
I am in southeastern NY, Is this common?
Thanks in advance!
Wendy

I have one hen out of my 6 that is molting also, she looks awful and I feel like the others are picking on her more while she’s molting. I read your supposed to try and give them more protein when molting but how do you do that when there is only 1 out of the 6?

When I had my first batch of chicks, they had a partial molt thier first winter, at age 9 months. I thought that their heads had shrunk. Nope, just losing feathers on their heads and necks.

I have one hen out of my 6 that is molting also, she looks awful and I feel like the others are picking on her more while she’s molting. I read your supposed to try and give them more protein when molting but how do you do that when there is only 1 out of the 6?
Someone please answer this because I’m thinking same thing

First year BLK AUS all molted 9-10 months old. They're giving up 5-7 eggs a day out of 7 hens right here in the dead of winter with natural day light cycle. I wouldn't be concerned.

I had three times in 30 years that this happened. I have 6 Anconas hatched 4/12 & they started to molt in December & haven't laid an egg since 12/6. They are supposed to be good winter layers. I have no idea why it happens.

Back
Top Bottom