Early molt???

jecombs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
I have two Buff Orpingtons and they are about 9 mo. old. They only laying about 2 eggs per week and there are feathers all over the coop and yard. I think they are molting, but aren't they awfully young for that? I thought the first molt didn't happen until 12-18 mo... What's going on? Will they molt again when they get close to a year old?

they usaully molt around a year old, but it can be earlier or later. I'm guessing since they are getting close to being a year old and with autumn being here (that is if u live in the northern hemisphere) they probably are just early, but normal molt

Thanks. I guess I will just have to wait it out. The girls aren't looking bald or anything, there's just lots of feathers EVERYWHERE and we've only had 1 egg this week. Hopefully once we get past the winter solstice and start having my light, they will lay more often. I miss our eggs!

yep, lots of feathers are a good sign theyre molting......
My hens have slowed down on their laying too, so im also looking forward to lighter days......theres still a long winter ahead of me where i live though, so i hope the cold doesnt slow down their laying much

Did you happen to just start adding extra light to their coop? Sudden change in the amount of lighting hours is one thing that will force them into an untimely moult.

Last edited:
Nope, no extra lighting. With just 2 hens, I figured the cost of lighting the coop wouldn't be worth the few extra eggs we'd see for our trouble.

Back
Top Bottom