Early molt???

jecombs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
I have two Buff Orpingtons and they are about 9 mo. old. They only laying about 2 eggs per week and there are feathers all over the coop and yard. I think they are molting, but aren't they awfully young for that? I thought the first molt didn't happen until 12-18 mo... What's going on? Will they molt again when they get close to a year old?

Y N dottes

Songster
7 Years
Sep 1, 2012
South Central WI
they usaully molt around a year old, but it can be earlier or later. I'm guessing since they are getting close to being a year old and with autumn being here (that is if u live in the northern hemisphere) they probably are just early, but normal molt

jecombs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
Thanks. I guess I will just have to wait it out. The girls aren't looking bald or anything, there's just lots of feathers EVERYWHERE and we've only had 1 egg this week. Hopefully once we get past the winter solstice and start having my light, they will lay more often. I miss our eggs!

Y N dottes

Songster
7 Years
Sep 1, 2012
South Central WI
yep, lots of feathers are a good sign theyre molting......
My hens have slowed down on their laying too, so im also looking forward to lighter days......theres still a long winter ahead of me where i live though, so i hope the cold doesnt slow down their laying much

jecombs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
Nope, no extra lighting. With just 2 hens, I figured the cost of lighting the coop wouldn't be worth the few extra eggs we'd see for our trouble.

Top Bottom