Early to bed?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Faith Hope, May 29, 2011.

1. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    What time do your chickens go to bed?

My chickens have a large pen, but I also let them free range on my property in the afternoon/evenings. They usually are all back in the coop ready to roost by 6:30 or 7 at the very latest even now when it is not getting dark till 8 or 8:30! Do your chickens go to bed that early?

2. Fritatta

Fritatta Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    I think it is the cutest thing that my mom hen takes her 3 week old brood into the coop 2-3 hours before the big girls go in.

Momma and chicks go in about 6pm est and others are in by 8:30. depends on the sun!

3. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Here it's the old hens and the rooster that head back to the coop by 4:00 pm .. of course they are up by 5:30 am usually [​IMG] Now, the younger chicks that the broodies raise are inclined to roam the barn like a pack of leather clad hoodlums and go to bed just before dark like any adolescent trying to stay out past curfew.

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Mine have been packing it in by 7:30-8:00 at night. I guess all that fresh air and sunshine is tiring!

5. PHILMAN

PHILMAN Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    South Plainfield , NJ
    Mine are in bed by 8:30 latest .

6. Faith Hope

Faith Hope Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Illinois
    My adult go in the earliest (like 2+ hours before dark). I think maybe they are trying to get the favorite spots on the roost! They keep going in earlier and earlier.[​IMG] Crazy chickens:lol:

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    My 7 week old chicks have been out in their coop for 2 weeks and in the run for about 9 days. They are all outside at 7 AM, but 1/2 of them want to stay out in the coop till dark--9PM here. I usually have to round up the stragglers, but the other half already have the top spots on the roost. They have 4 levels and everyone is on level 4 , so the late-comers have to go to the lower levels.

8. BigBird99

BigBird99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    This time of year it's about 8:45 without fail. Though the dominant buff orpingtons have to 'make' a younger black australorp go to bed almost without fail every night.[​IMG]

9. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    Quote:X2

10. kathyp3

kathyp3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Hi its coming into winter down under and the girls put themselves to bed by 5pm when the sun has gone down but not quite dark.
    We have a chook cam so if they have gone in I quickly turn on the tv and watch the girls settle down and go to sleep.
    Don't you just love chickens!!!! I do.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by