Early weaned chicks

Jul 22, 2021
My hen hatched 6 chicks and she's just gone to roost and left them alone and all day kept pecking at them to go away. The chicks are only 2 weeks and 3 days old so I'm concerned they might be too young to be alone. I checked the weather for the next 10 days and we'll be having highs between 107-111 and the night time low of 75-80 and Friday and Saturday night are estimated to drop to 67 and 69. I want to ask if I need to supplement heat at night for them or will they be ok huddled together? 3 chicks are almost fully feathered and the others still have fluff on their backs so my concern is more towards the fluffy chicks being unable to keep themselves warm.

I currently have eight 3-week-old chicks outside that their mom weaned yesterday. (She laid an egg in their chick pen, and that seemed to cause her broody hormones to dissipate.) The chicks are nearly fully-feathered, but not completely. They have been on the roosts in their chick pen during the day, but are still sleeping in their nestbox at night. Do your chicks have a place they can huddle together at night if they get cold? I really think they will be fine, but if you want to provide temporary heat when the temp drops to 70ish at night, that's your call.

I currently have eight 3-week-old chicks outside that their mom weaned yesterday. (She laid an egg in their chick pen, and that seemed to cause her broody hormones to dissipate.) The chicks are nearly fully-feathered, but not completely. They have been on the roosts in their chick pen during the day, but are still sleeping in their nestbox at night. Do your chicks have a place they can huddle together at night if they get cold? I really think they will be fine, but if you want to provide temporary heat when the temp drops to 70ish at night, that's your call.
Yes, I created a broody space for her and she left them there and went back with the flock, they just can't get up to roost yet so they're at ground level where she used to sleep with them

Back
Top Bottom