1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Easiest Duck Breeds to Hatch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nickcole, Feb 18, 2016.

1. nickcole

nickcole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    Hello,

Does anyone have any advice on what the easiest ducks are to hatch? I am new to hatching ducks and would like to have some success with hatching for my first time. Thanks!

2. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Would u be hatching in an incubator or using the mother ?

3. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I don't know much about hatching but, from what I've read, shipping can be hard on eggs. So if you are going to use an incubator I would suggest first looking at what eggs you can find locally. I think that would give you a better chance at a good hatch rate.

4. nickcole

nickcole Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2015
    Incubator, sorry, I currently don't have any ducks.

5. Buck Oakes

Buck Oakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Well in my personal experience I have hatched Muscovies easily but that's pretty much all I hatch, other people have a had a hard time with Muscovies though so probably a mallard derived breed is what u need

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    I agree about trying to find local eggs and not have them shipped, if at all possible. I've had terrible experiences with shipped eggs myself, and they tend to have a much lower hatch rate than eggs that have not had a rough ride in the mail.

I think anything but Call Ducks should be about the same in "ease" of hatching, really. Call Ducks can be very difficult to hatch. I would also avoid "crested" ducks, as they sometimes have difficulty hatching as well due to genetic problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by