Easiest way to weigh birds?

imacowgirl2

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
south central IL
I want to weigh our meat birds periodically so I can figure the feed ratio and rate of gain I’m getting…I have a fish scale, and thought easiest way would be to put them in a 5 gallon bucket and hang the bucket from the fish scale. That works ok when they are small…but when they are bigger they are flapping all around trying to escape the bucket even if I set a lid on it, and I can’t get an accurate weight.

So how are you all weighing birds accurately?

I weigh mine with a heavy duty hang scale.
20221205_105923.jpg

20221205_105917.jpg

thought easiest way would be to put them in a 5 gallon bucket and hang the bucket from the fish scale. That works ok when they are small…but when they are bigger they are flapping all around trying to escape the bucket even if I set a lid on it, and I can’t get an accurate weight.
You could try it after dark. Chickens are often calmer after dark, so they might hold still in the bucket for long enough to get a reading.

Depending on the exact sizes involved, you could wrap the bird in a towel and then sit it in the bucket. Just remember to account for the weight of the towel as well as the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom