1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

East texas?

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by jaredthefox, Jan 27, 2015.

1. jaredthefox

jaredthefox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    Can a hawk get a full grown chicken??

2. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    It can sure kill one or do permanent damage.

3. David Fontenot

David Fontenot New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    I think I will take a chance and go ahead and build the coop. When should I buy the chicks, or should I buy grown hens.

4. jaredthefox

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas

It's more out of a personal preference. Do you want to raise your chicks and wait 6 months to get eggs or do you want eggs now? I started out with grown hens because they are much easier to take care of than chicks. chicks require a lot more to keep them growing.

My opinion is that to start out get some full grown chickens and see how you like the process.

1 person likes this.
  5. jaredthefox

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    As far as when should you buy chicks the sooner the better. Because you can let them outside with no heat lamp in 2-3 months. That will be really nice weather at that time :). I just bought 50 chicks that come monday.

6. David Fontenot

David Fontenot New Egg

Jan 31, 2015
    Thanks for the advice. Will start to work on the coop soon as the weather warms-up.

7. RoosterCogburn7

RoosterCogburn7 Chicken Atlas Farm NPIP 74-4231 Premium Member

Dec 5, 2014
    I view it as a race against time. I am trying to get the coop built before the new chicks arrive, so a month later when they do go outside, the infrastructure is ready and waiting.

8. jaredthefox

Jan 4, 2015
    Marshall Texas
    I have found that it's always a hurry up and build something for my new chickens lol

9. sheldavis

sheldavis Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2015
    I'm from Cleveland texas, I'm looking for bantam hens!

10. jldward

jldward Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2014
    Southeast Texas
    I'm in Cleveland, too. I don't know if any but can let you know if I hear of any. Conroe Trade Day should be coming up first Sunday in May & there's usually some there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by