East texas?

I'm in East Texas, not too far from @Latestarter and soon to be East Texan @Tressa27884, as well as @Baymule. We have had Latestarter over, for a couple visits, and had a yummy Rib Eye steak at his house. Mel (the dog) is even cooler in person! He is a sweetheart. I'm 5'7" and his head comes up to my waist!!! He is definitely a big boy! When we were there, for dinner, the steaks were marinating on the kitchen counter, with Mel wandering around. Mel never even went over to sniff the steaks. What a GOOD BOY!

I am so looking forward to Tressa moving here in late December! She bought a nice piece of property about 40 minutes from us. We have also been to visit Baymule and her DH many times and they have visited us. We have a nice homesteading community here in East Texas!

Hey all you East and North East Texans... got some pretty serious bands of T-storms moving through today. Hope y'all fair well through them and no serious hail or tornado issues.

We fared well, through the storms yesterday. Had some thunder boomers, that sent our Maine Coon kitty scampering for cover in the shower. And had some wind, that knocked branches out of trees. But, no tornados or hail. It rained for several hours, with some light showers and several heavy showers and strong winds. In the end, we had a total of 2.20" of rain. I texted to Baymule, who is an hour South of us, and she said they "got a drizzle - just enough to get wet".

Last edited:
Bought a rain gauge so I could know for sure what I got and it measured out at 1 3/8" after all said and done. Only a few flashes of lightning, and virtually no thunder or heavy wind. Just off & on downpours between 5:30am and about noon. After that it had basically moved east.

Hey y'all!
I'm glad to find an East Texas thread. I was hoping to find one on BYH. I'll be moving to Cooper the end of the year and I'm hoping to meet some locals. Can't wait!

Hey lady? So what's goin on? Has the closing happened yet? Should be pretty quick if not... Hope you aren't running into issues... seems that's the common occurrence lately for folks buying a house.

Oh Tressa (@Tressa27884) I'm so sorry to hear that! We drove to Rockwall yesterday (Wed), and as we drove by the exit for Cooper, I thought of y'all and wondered how the move was coming. I even said a prayer for you and the kids. :hugs

Last edited:
Awww... so sorry to hear that. Fingers crossed that nothing else gets in the way and you're able to get moved as planned now. Let us know if you need help or if we can do anything for ya.

Good news! I heard from my mortgage agent last night, we're all on track - hoping to be closed by 12/21! Still won't move until January, but I will OWN it. Anybody have a pair of goats all ready accustomed to LGD's they want to send to me middle of January?

Hey guys! I'm just stopping by because I've been looking at jobs in east Texas and was wondering if anyone might be able to tell me about the areas I've been applying to.

I'm applying to small animal/backyard poultry/exotics type veterinary job and the one in particular that I'm flying out to visit is in Athens, TX. They also have a practice in Palestine, TX. Does anyone know these areas and can you tell me a bit more about them? I'm moving out alone with the hopes my parents will some day be able to move closer and I'm currently in my late 20's, so I'm looking for an area that has things to do outside of work.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Well I'm a fair bit north of there. It's not the kinda of night life/excitement you'll find where you're coming from... The bigger towns/cities (Palestine/Athens/Tyler) have your standard restaurants and such and you'll be a few hours from Houston to the south or north about an hour to Dallas. Tyler being the biggest city near both places. Being on the east side of the state you'll have green and water, which is the opposite of the west side of the state. It will be hot and humid for many months through the summer... the further south the more humidity. Not too cold in the winter, the rare ice/snow storm. TX is a pretty big state, and there's loads of stuff to do depending on what you're looking for. Lots of outdoors stuff. Land and homes are still affordable outside the high density cities like Dallas/Ft Worth/Houston/etc. Really, you can find pretty much whatever you want to do within a reasonable distance (<100 miles) from either place. Welcome in advance. Really nice folks down here! You won't believe the difference until you experience it.

Back
Top Bottom