Easter adopt an egg hatch-a-long

Pics
checked some eggs today!!!!!!!! LOTS of babies! Some ? that yolks looked darker but can't really see a baby yet or veins but only on day 3. a couple I would say clear but again early.

But some I know for sure....... (tried to find the updated list and check ones claimed but had already candled a lot so didn't get to them all I don't think..... I will do a full candle probably Thurs)

these eggs have babies for sure!!!!! 3,4,5,6,9,10,14,15, 17, 27 and 28.........

Some of the Frizzle Cochin eggs I THINK I saw something (24 and 25 I remember) but those eggs are a darker brown but they are soooooooo hard to see in even though they aren't really dark. so it was more squinting and thinking I saw a darker spot that was a baby. LOL so those ones may be a bit before I can say for sure.

only one claimed that I have marked as a ? right now is #13.

ok. I ended up candling all the eggs tonight. LOL only removed one that was 100% clear. have some that look like they quit which would have been SUPER early. There is a red line and that is all I see.... then I have 4 that there is still nothing but yolks look darker still so holding out on those. The other 21 looked great!!!!!!

@Farmgirl283420 #22 looks like it is one that may have quit. do you want to wait or pick another one? It may be fine as that is an egg that is harder to see in.

Last edited:
  1. BYM ? may be clear
  2. BYM
  3. Dark Brahma @Farmgirl283420
  4. Mauve Orpington @Ilovemychicks08
  5. Blue/Buff Orp @Quarterhorses1
  6. Lavender Brahma @Iluveggers
  7. Lavender Brahma
  8. Lavender Orpington @Auntiejessi3
  9. Lavender Orpington @Iluveggers
  10. Silkie
  11. Silkie ?
  12. Silkie
  13. Silkie @MochaLatte ?
  14. Spitz
  15. Spitz
  16. Spitz
  17. Spitz @Tumbleweedlynn
  18. Spitz ?Quitter?
  19. Spitz
  20. Spitz ?
  21. Spitz CLEAR- removed
  22. Blue Frizzle Cochin @Farmgirl283420 ?Quitter?
  23. Blue Frizzle Cochin @Ilovemychicks08
  24. Blue Frizzle Cochin @Quarterhorses1
  25. Blue Frizzle Cochin. @Farmgirl283420
  26. Blue Frizzle Cochin. @10eggsaday
  27. EE (teal egg) @Shipgirl
  28. EE (teal egg) @MochaLatte

Last edited:
Wow, you really know your eggs 🥰 So glad everything is looking good, can’t want to see #17 🤞❤️
LOL too much candling. haahaa!!!!!!!! I find that after 3-4 days if one is still glowing and the yolk is still like a bright yellow sun it isn't going to change. Since I have 28 in a 22 egg incubator I figure why wait so just removed it to make more room. Normally I just see that at day 3-4 and not the darker yolks but thinking maybe with them stacked some are behind?? those I am not sure but guess I will see at about day 7 on if they change or not. I left those ones stacked since if that is the case I am afraid to move any developing ones to the stack but did have some stacked developing but did move them around after about 2 days so who knows. (sorry for my rambling. LOL)

LOL too much candling. haahaa!!!!!!!! I find that after 3-4 days if one is still glowing and the yolk is still like a bright yellow sun it isn't going to change. Since I have 28 in a 22 egg incubator I figure why wait so just removed it to make more room. Normally I just see that at day 3-4 and not the darker yolks but thinking maybe with them stacked some are behind?? those I am not sure but guess I will see at about day 7 on if they change or not. I left those ones stacked since if that is the case I am afraid to move any developing ones to the stack but did have some stacked developing but did move them around after about 2 days so who knows. (sorry for my rambling. LOL)
Hey, it’s all interesting information to me! 😂 I’m a little gun shy when it comes to messing with the eggs or incubation period since I’m still not sure why my hatch rate is so low. I’m seeing the veining and black blobs at day 7, and really haven’t seen hardly any clears, so I’ve convinced myself that opening the incubator is making them stop, or I’m introducing germs or jostling them around during candling. I know what they go through with a broody, so it’s reasonable to assume I’m being very safe, but who really knows, I guess.

Now who’s rambling? 🤣

Hey, it’s all interesting information to me! 😂 I’m a little gun shy when it comes to messing with the eggs or incubation period since I’m still not sure why my hatch rate is so low. I’m seeing the veining and black blobs at day 7, and really haven’t seen hardly any clears, so I’ve convinced myself that opening the incubator is making them stop, or I’m introducing germs or jostling them around during candling. I know what they go through with a broody, so it’s reasonable to assume I’m being very safe, but who really knows, I guess.

Now who’s rambling? 🤣
never a bad thing to be safe. I used to say I was going to wait but then I just can't. I used to look at day 3. Now I find myself peeking at day 2 to see if I can maybe see something or any changes in the yolks etc. hahaaa. Then day 3 I normally do a full candle but managed to wait till day 4 this time for that so maybe progress? LOL

I didn't candle as much my first couple times and had horrible hatch rates (mostly shipped eggs and a few of my own that didn't develop. either a dumb rooster or fluffy butts not sure which). and the shipped eggs I believe were just bad sellers..... Found an amazing seller and have had great hatch rates and seems the more I hatch the more I candle. haahaa And this year with my 2 roo's (maybe it is both or maybe my older one is really dumb even though he does what he should or he is just more fluffy?) but I have had great luck with my own eggs this year. the March hatch I set 7 and had 6 hatch. This time I set 7 and have 6 that I know are developing. I gave a broody some (which ended up having a tragic accident) but out of the 9 I gave her, one went missing before I candled and 4 were growing before their tragic ending...... so pretty happy with that. BUT for the most part they are my younger girls eggs as well besides the EE eggs I set this time. (which I can't wait to see those babies since mom is a blue EE with big cheeks and dad is either a blue Cochin or a splash project Cochin.........

I’ve never hatched shipped eggs, I can only imagine my luck there 🥴

My broody girls have had the best luck, as far as percentage hatched. Maybe I am just pushing it by stuffing my incubator full. It kinda looked like some of the eggs are really turning in the bator, the smaller ones anyway. And my Cemani eggs are always the smallest I set, maybe I just solved an issue! It’s never been a fertility issue. I’m excited to use my new candler, maybe I can see in the blue and green eggs.

You sound like you have some pretty girls. Hatching my mixes is always so fun, the first green egg that was hatched was something I threw under my broody, and my Cemani roo was the papa. It is developing so funny, it’s got a cute little Mohawk going on 🤣 And the olive Eggers I just hatched, oh lord they were so cute with the fluffy cheeks!

Here’s to a good hatch for everyone 🤞🥂

Back
Top Bottom