Easter dinner + traditions

percyj

Songster
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
So, share all your wonderful dinner menus and family traditions! I'd love to see how people are gonna be celebrating this weekend!!! Btw, happy chick and bunny day! (er....Easter!)

We don't really do anything out of the ordinary. We are hoping to be able to hide the goodies outside for our kids this year since Easter is so late in the month. We go to church and have a little down time before going to family dinner. We do the usual -- appetizers, ham, cheesy or scalloped potatoes, couple different types of veggie dishes, rolls, and different deserts. Every Easter there are sure to be old family favorites that Grandma always made every Easter when she was still alive -- strawberry cake, butterscotch pie, and lemon merigue. Sometimes my uncle puts together a little Easter egg hunt for the little kids.

Last edited:
I am celebrating by going with a friend this year to look at some real estate on Easter Sunday. I am hoping we can come back here and hang out & have a little something to eat afterward. I'll probably make something light and springy, maybe grilled citrus & basil chicken with mango-quinoa salad (need to use up those mangos before they get too soft).

My family used to do big get-togethers, but we are all spread out now, scattered hither and yon. One of my fondest memories is of an Easter dinner about 10 or so years ago, and my sister and I were on opposite sides of the table filling our plates & kept reaching for the same thing at the same time & she accidentally poked me in the back of her hand with her fork. It was one of those things that just hit a funny nerve & we laughed our heads off and made some kind of (undoubtedly) off-color joke about "forking around at the dinner table". Just goes to show you that you can be in your 30s and 40s and still be kids.
smile.png

We used to hide eggs when the kids were younger (we still do sometimes
tongue.png
). The food is eaten outside picnic style. We usually have fried chicken, potato salad, cole slaw, baked beans, corn on the cob, and my mom's easter cake. The slip and slide is brought out if we are not under water restrictions and everyone plays badminton.

Quote:
two fried rabbits, mashed taters, gravy (of course) and some hot sauce.

Nothing this year
hmm.png
None of the kids have called about it, Sara moved out and told her dad she never wants to talk to him again. So I think we are going out to dinner. Just the two of us ♥

I hope everybody enjoys their Easters, whether alone or with family! Were keeping it simple....a pasta salad and strawberry trifle. (yummy!) and of course, m&ms in Easter eggs! Just popped some dog treats for my dog, Benji, in the oven. Other than his dog kibble, all of his treats are vegetarian. I really want to have a nice candle-lit family dinner, but somehow, something would happen and the house would catch on fire.
roll.png

We were not sure if we would be here for easter or running to Massachusets for a funeral so I made no plans at all. Thankfully it looks as if we will be staying put a bit longer. Today I filled 5 dozen plastic eggs ( I reuse these every year so thankfully I was already stocked on these) I colored 3 dozen eggs. Picked up all the chocolate bunnies and such while at the grocery.

So we are having pomagranite glazed ham, corn pudding, baked sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, and mini eclairs for dessert. We will go to church in the morning, then lunch and egg hunting with my parents, probably go walking in the woods at the farm afterwards. We never do a ton. One year we had everyone over and a huge egg hunt. Was a mess. Literally kids fighting over eggs and a new swingset was broken. We had 3 grandchildren, 2 great grandchildren 2 step great grandkids and 7 foster kids ( great gandkids to my mom not me. I just cooked, it was her house being destroyed) Never again. It was so hectic.

Since we moved to TX our Easters have been really low key. This year my hubby decided he had to go to CA to help his parents move. They were foreclosed on and the house got auctioned off. The new owner say's out by the end of the month. We only heard of this about 10 days ago. I'm not at all happy that he's running off across the country for 6 days. At first he thought he was going the last weekend of the month and I almost blew because he would have been gone for our daughters 18th birthday. He didn't think she'd care and this morning when he said bye to her she asked him in a very concerned voice if he would be here for her birthday. He will be back for that but he's gone for Easter. I am not happy with him at all. I'm gonna sit on my butt and watch The 10 Commandments. I am coloring eggs with our youngest tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom