Easter Egg 8 week TSC Chickens?!? Help Please?

Scissor beak birds often develop slower, so that might explain his small comb. However, because of the black and white coloring with brown coming in, I'd say he's a cockerel as well. That extra picture of the head in number 7 you posted looks like she could be a red pullet, but the splotchy black makes me wonder. Keep an eye on that one!

The beak started showing around 2 weeks and has gotten a bit worse every week, and now has seemed to stabilize. He makes a mess eating but seems to do it well enough. I've experimented with adding feed to yogurt and he seems to like that as well.

On a side note, since I might have a hard time getting rid of this many boys, are they useful at all this age, or is soup stock the only thing I'll get out of them?

are you zoned for roosters?

I have trouble letting my roosters go i have 8 roosters that free range and they all get along.

The only problem with that for you is you have only 2 females and they would over breed your girls.

Unless you could some how pen them up till you can get more girls.

Ok, I think I pretty much understand what everyone is looking at in the comb, but I am completely missing what to look for in the colors when sexing these EEs.

Thanks for any help.

Crossbeak is a boy, but I really think that last red one you posted is a girl. I'd wait that one out. The comb looks exactly like my girls, and I don't see the red shoulders, I think she is just going to be mostly red. When you see red shoulders in a male you'll know it. It's deep dark chili powder red.

Well, you could work at fattening those boys up with meat builder feed, then make BBQ on the grill out of them... I'd look on CL for a breeder... Keep the new pullets separate from all the other chickens for a month, that way you will know if there is an illness in the new ones... Personally, I always get dual process birds just in the event I get more cockerels than I need...

The bus to freezer camp leaves tomorrow. Any last hope of these two being hens, or should they be on there way too? They are about 10 weeks old now. On a side note, what is the deal with the comb on the dark one. It is not the same as the rest of the easter eggers? Any reason for that, or just a different genetic line?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom