easter egg hen laying white egg?

she'scountry68

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Arkansas
I have three easter egger hens the same age, eating the same food {nutrena layer food} , and in the same coop . I have two blue egg layers and one green egg layer. One of the blue egg layers in now laying a white egg, she has for a few days. Can anyone tell me why this is?
hu.gif

If you're absolutely certain that it's your EE laying the white egg (ie you have no other hens/pullets or you've actually watched her lay), then it's probably just a temporary fluke. My brown egg layers (well, one or two of them) have gone through phases where the egg goes from a nice med. brown to a very pale whitish/creamish color. I just put it down to a temporary egg organ malfunction - like the little man in there with the paint sprayer taking a long coffee break or something (my mind works in cartoons). Since blue eggs are white based (I think), then it makes sense that their glitches would result in white eggs.
I don't know of any nutritional/mineral deficiency that might cause it. It's always been temporary for my girls, so I'm sure it will be for your girl too...

Last edited:
Are they young chickens? usually young chickens have no idea how to make an egg and screw up a lot of times lol. If not then it could be a nutrition problem.

Very rare for nutrition to have a significant impact on shell color. The blue is actual shell color and genetic, the amount of brown coating over the blue shell is genetic and seasonal. They tend to lighten after laying a while. Could be a fluke also.

My young EE pullet ( from my EE hen and ? for a dad) is laying an almost white egg for her pullet eggs; mom's egg is a pale shell pink egg. THis pastel white egg is the palest egg yet. All in the genes.

Since EEs are generally considered mutts, you can get a wide range of egg colors to feather colors and everything. Its not rare that an EE lays a brown or white eggs, just uncommon.

with EE's you can get any eggs color, white, tan, brown, pink, green, olive, even yellowish, the only color you gennerally won't get is blue. its all in the breeding, what ever is in the gentic background of your birds

*shrugs* My EE lays brown eggs… I get ya.

And I was looking forward to blue eggs =(

…and she HATCHED out of a blue egg >_> ….

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom