"Easter Egg" Hens' Eggs Not Pretty

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Caoimhin, May 4, 2007.

1. Caoimhin

Caoimhin New Egg

May 4, 2007
    My two "easter egg" hens are almost a year old, and their eggs are brown. They have seven friends in the same coop, so I'm not sure which eggs are theirs, but I think they have a faint blue tinge to them. They are certainly not blue or green, though.

Just unfortunate (for me) genetics? Is there anything I can do to affect their color, short of breaking out a can of spray paint?

2. nikkimay

nikkimay Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Nope - nothing that I know of that you can do... because they are "mixed breeds" the color of their eggs are not a sure thing...

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Im sorry to hear your EE are not the color you was hopeing for. I have 4 cross bred EE....and they lay a tan/pinkish egg. Not what I was hopeing for, so I got 5 more! [​IMG] hopeing for blue and green. Doesnt really matter, the eggs are just as yummy! [​IMG]

4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep the shades of the EE vairy alot and brown is one of the shades in the mix. I love brown eggs and any eggs that are home raised beat store bought nutritionally regardless of the color..... enjoy them and be thankful, I'am.

bigzio

I'm sorry for not saying, Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: May 4, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by