Easter Egger Bantams (hopefully)

cranzenbach

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015
Forest Ranch, CA
Okay so I recently ordered 15 Easter Egger Bantams from Cackle Hatchery. I got 18 but had 5 mysterious deaths so now I am down to 13, and I am starting to suspect that they are not bantams. When I ordered them I also ordered 5 Saipan Jungle Fowl for my chicken friendly neighbor. Those are gonna be 2 foot tall chickens when the're fullsized, but my chicks are currently bigger than this. I've ordered bantams in the past from cackle, and it was an assortment but I didn't gt any easter eggers. I feel like I remember the m being much smaller. Anyaway if anybody has any info or opinion on the subject it would help me imensely -- Thanks guys!

Also when I got my chicks I really wanted to see what they would turn into but there are limited Easter Eggers or bantams photos out on the internet, and none that showed the chicks at a few diferent ages. So i thought I would make these mini collages and track the chick's growth. They are only 20 days old but they have changed so much :)

Different breeds mature at difference rates, that could account for the size variance you're seeing between the EEs and the Saipans. Jungle fowl are pretty slender birds in general, and theres no telling exactly what genetics are floating around in Cackles breeding stock. They may never reach that 2ft tall stature. Hatcheries breed for quantity, not quality. I've noticed that very few hatchery birds I've ordered have conformed to the SOP, while many more do not. Also, some bantam breeds are bigger than others.

Theres a HUGE thread in the What Breed and Gender section, I believe its call Easter Egger sexing tips and tricks, something like that. There are tons of pictures in that thread. Most of the birds there are standard sized, but the characteristics will be the same.

I recently received an order from Cackle myself (and I lost 5 of my chicks too :hit Sorry about yours). I got 4 EEs in my order, and they're pretty big chicks. They make the black Sexlinks I also received look like bantams. And the Silkies and Sizzles I hatched here myself (which are on the bigger side for bantams) look teeny tiny next to them. And the Silkies/Sizzles are a week older!

Also, after I popped back into the chick forum after posting this, the post directly under yours is titled "Easter Egger chick colors". It might be a good thread for you to look through as well :)

Last edited:
Also, after I popped back into the chick forum after posting this, the post directly under yours is titled "Easter Egger chick colors". It might be a good thread for you to look through as well :)

Thanks! Ill look at that the second I'm done here. I eally appreciate it :)

Different breeds mature at difference rates, that could account for the size variance you're seeing between the EEs and the Saipans. Jungle fowl are pretty slender birds in general, and theres no telling exactly what genetics are floating around in Cackles breeding stock. They may never reach that 2ft tall stature. Hatcheries breed for quantity, not quality. I've noticed that very few hatchery birds I've ordered have conformed to the SOP, while many more do not. Also, some bantam breeds are bigger than others.

Theres a HUGE thread in the What Breed and Gender section, I believe its call Easter Egger sexing tips and tricks, something like that. There are tons of pictures in that thread. Most of the birds there are standard sized, but the characteristics will be the same.

I recently received an order from Cackle myself (and I lost 5 of my chicks too :hit Sorry about yours). I got 4 EEs in my order, and they're pretty big chicks. They make the black Sexlinks I also received look like bantams. And the Silkies and Sizzles I hatched here myself (which are on the bigger side for bantams) look teeny tiny next to them. And the Silkies/Sizzles are a week older!

Were the Easter Eggers you go with your sexlinks Bantams? Because mine were supposed to be. You said the silkies look tiny text to them but when I got my assorted bantams (also from cackle) last time I got silkies and they were bigger than all the other chicks. So now I am more certain that they might now be bantams I'm going to go check out that other thread and see what I find. Thanks :):p

Back
Top Bottom