Easter Egger club!

Annied i would sell them to help out on the feed bill. Thats what i do and it sure does help, i have one person that i work with that will take all my extras. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, that was my plan as well but my husband can't sell anything at his work because it's not allowed. We started giving them away and it works for us because we only have 5 chickens. They don't eat much.

Try switching back to starter/grower with oyster shell offered free choice on the side. Or blend some in to your current feed (no sense in wasting money!). The EEs *really* need the higher protein level yet I found all my birds benefited from it when I switched back. It's all I get now. Makes feeding easier, the birds like it and they can lay more eggs and have healthier feathers.

My neighbor was in the same boat with her EEs and she was feeding a high quality layer feed. As soon as she switched back to starter (of the same, high quality brand) her EEs kicked it into gear.

I think the layer formulas are geared toward flocks of mostly Leghorn and Sex Link (like ISA Brown). Some of the new layer feeds I'm seeing are closer to the 20% protein mark, which is better for most backyard birds that aren't bred solely for egg production.

Also, if you have roosters, they'll do much better on the higher protein, lower calcium feed.

Thanks to Junebuggena for the recommendation!

Thank you for the suggestions. I will do some research on this. I'm concerned about the rest of the girls, an EE, a buff Orpington, a GLW, and a Cuckoo Maran. They are all laying as much as they should. I forgot to add that they do of course get free choice oyster shells and grit although they rarely touch that because they are out scratching around all day. Maybe Frost will surprise us. Our daughter is convinced she's intersex and will never lay an egg...

Thank you for the suggestions. I will do some research on this. I'm concerned about the rest of the girls, an EE, a buff Orpington, a GLW, and a Cuckoo Maran. They are all laying as much as they should. I forgot to add that they do of course get free choice oyster shells and grit although they rarely touch that because they are out scratching around all day. Maybe Frost will surprise us. Our daughter is convinced she's intersex and will never lay an egg...
Easter Eggers just need a bit more protein than other breeds. And it won't hurt the others at all.

Yeah, that was my plan as well but my husband can't sell anything at his work because it's not allowed. We started giving them away and it works for us because we only have 5 chickens. They don't eat much.

Yes i understand that was my plan as well 5 to 6 chickens but now i haveabout 40 lol.have a blessed day

Quote:

Thank you for the suggestion.
frow.gif

Right now we're hatching 20 to 30 chicks every four weeks
hide.gif

Y'all should start a hatchery!
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif