Easter Egger club!

howdy, I hope it's ok if I post this question here. I have a new EE (the yellow chick in the photo, in front of the blue ameraucana and the polish) from my pet chicken.

She has no beard or muffs but I can see that she has a pea comb and her legs are very green.

I'm wondering if the absence of muffs is a deal breaker for blue or green eggs? Do any of y’all have muffless EES that lay a blue or green egg? Thank you! Love this thread.
I have several clean faced EEs. They still lay a colored egg; blue, green, olive :thumbsup

IMG_20170619_145858281_crop_737x719.jpg

I disturbed Theodora's sunbathing to get this shot and she was not amused.

Bearding is minimal, has some little wattles, a dented cushion comb, and recently I've noticed patches of shimmering white skin by her ears but nothing much for lobes yet. Breast feathers are a rosy shade with silver shafts and blue lacing. Not sure what to call her coloring but the blue is letting a lot of light red show through. I also haven't put her on a scale to see how huge she is but she's a big girl.

She's almost done with her baby molt. Just waiting to see how long that tail gets (her baby tail was very long) and what color she lays. Almost 17 weeks old so probably another month or two to go for eggs.

Hello all!! One of my EEs is brooding!! I have rsl, EE, bsl and barred rock hens and an American game roo- so I was never anticipating anyone to go broody, but low and behold! She's sitting on a clutch of eggs and has been now for four days!

Do EEs make good moms or am I going to need to move babies to an indoor brooder? I already have a pen to set up for mama and babies when they hatch- if she can be a decent parent.

Thanks!!

View attachment 1047544

I disturbed Theodora's sunbathing to get this shot and she was not amused.

Bearding is minimal, has some little wattles, a dented cushion comb, and recently I've noticed patches of shimmering white skin by her ears but nothing much for lobes yet. Breast feathers are a rosy shade with silver shafts and blue lacing. Not sure what to call her coloring but the blue is letting a lot of light red show through. I also haven't put her on a scale to see how huge she is but she's a big girl.

She's almost done with her baby molt. Just waiting to see how long that tail gets (her baby tail was very long) and what color she lays. Almost 17 weeks old so probably another month or two to go for eggs.

:eek: She's so beautiful!! :love

Her coloring reminds me a lot of silver duckwing. The silver gene is for sure the basis for her coloring, but I bet her father (or one of her parents) wasn't an EE or ameraucana. She has a very game-like head - silver is a pretty common color for games, and they do lay white eggs.... Could be half game. (Gosh I love guessing EE heratige XD)

Oh she ought to be laying sooner than a couple months if she's already 17 weeks. Keep an eye on her comb - when it starts to get bigger, its a sign that she's getting closer to laying age. ;)

Hello fellow EE lovers! Does anyone know if a straight comb, white legged, EE will lay a colored egg? She may not even be an EE! She looks like an white or lav Orp, but was sold to me as an EE.
Can you post a pic? I agree, she might be an orp of some kind, but if she was a white Orpington she would probably belong to (or at least have a history) with a good breeder, which would lessen the chance of her being an EE.

Hello all!! One of my EEs is brooding!! I have rsl, EE, bsl and barred rock hens and an American game roo- so I was never anticipating anyone to go broody, but low and behold! She's sitting on a clutch of eggs and has been now for four days!

Do EEs make good moms or am I going to need to move babies to an indoor brooder? I already have a pen to set up for mama and babies when they hatch- if she can be a decent parent.

Thanks!!

I haven't ever had any of my EEs go broody before, but IME as long as she's over a year old, she'll make a good mama. If she's under a year, don't let her sit the eggs.
Put her in her own kennel inside the coop to keeothe other chickens from laying eggs in her nest. Let her out once a day to eat and relieve herself, probably take a dust bath too, but be super careful not to let other birds multiply her clutch. XD

Back
Top Bottom