Easter Egger club!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by EastinChickens, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Lauravonsmurf

Lauravonsmurf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Very cute. :)

2. miksmity

miksmity Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2014
    Bonfield Il.
    Oh no...
    I just bought a chick from a swap meet and he looks like that
    He was registered as purebred ameraconna tha was $4 [​IMG]

3. FVRM

FVRM Chillin' With My Peeps

that's how it is with this breed, it's full of confusion. if they look like this they are easter eggers no matter what, and sometimes you have to look at the parents to be sure. it's rare to find a true ameraucauna

4. barclay84

barclay84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2014
    Millington Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    brand new got from feed store yesterday Easter Eggers:)

5. miksmity

Apr 14, 2014
    Bonfield Il.
    I just percused 20 chick yesterday as they gave me 21 from Farm and fleet and one came with a broken leg and another one is going to die
    Idk what to do I need more chickens to keep my egg production up but they all end up sick or eatin by coyotes or run away
    I think that our Guinne hen chases them off but idk
    I only have 3 laying hens left and I had 14 but they all got eatin
    They r all free range and organic so I can't treat them and I am making a pen for peacocks and turkeys and I'm thinking that I should put my top layers in with them but last time my peacock tore up one of my hens
    I am out of options!!

6. insanity

insanity Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    Northwest Wy
    They need a secure coop at night. Daytime free range is usually fairly safe, but I lock mine up at night. I have a 8x12 coop with a 35x45 run, auto doors open at dawn to let them out into a 3/4 acre free range area.The night time area doesn't need to be as large as mine but it does need to be predator proof.It is my opinion that if we want to keep hens it is our responsibility to protect them. In 2 years I've only had 2 predator attacks (both before installing the auto doors) and I am in a rural area with many pests ranging from skunks to mountain lions.

7. cabinchicky

cabinchicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2013
    ohio
    x2 on what insanity said. I can't free range often too many raptors here. Building new run soon and welded wire all around so my gang will be covered 24/7.

8. smhoekzema

smhoekzema Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2013
    Sydney, Australia

Are you serious? Take some responsibility! Stop buying chickens until you figure out how to be responsible for them. Go on the coop and run section of this website and educate yourself....

9. miksmity

Apr 14, 2014
    Bonfield Il.
    I lock mine up 2 I have a hard dog and cats that keep em away
    I lock them up an hour beffore sunset

10. jerryse

jerryse Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Sparland IL
    Around here free range = missing (dead) birds. Too many predators. Chick starter with corid is a must also. Organic is fine but there are limits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by