Easter Egger club!

Quote:
It is rare but I had one start as nearly white and then turn blue after a week or so of laying . Many will fade as the laying cycle goes on . Some will look green and fade to a more blue .

My hatchery/feed store EE started laying at 24 or 25 weeks. Her eggs are blue and glossy - definitely the most beautiful of the eggs I get. They are the same color as the eggs from our crested cream legbars, but prettier.

The EE layed about 6 eggs per week for a couple of months, and then stopped. She isn't broody and isn't molting, just on vacation I guess. I'll be happy to see some of her eggs start showing up again when the weather gets a little better.

I love the fact that so many of you have mixes and enjoy your birds for their personalities, unique appearance and beautiful egg colors. On so many of the "purebred" threads people are harsh on others for cross breeding, saying that no one will want your birds if they aren't pure. I can't imagine how mundane the coop would be if I looked at the flock and they were all one color!

This is Ethel, my first EE. I love her so much I might just get all EEs in the Spring! She lays a reliable 6 eggs/week - a muted blue grey. Poor girl is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order though, and stays very close to her Roo, a big Wyandotte/Blue Orpington cross named Rex. She even hides under his tail feathers sometimes!

Ha! I never knew EEs were smallish until I got one! I always had big Orps and other LF. I guess the EE bantams must be teensy! It's crazy I know, but all the chickens that I have been close to have always sort of told me their names! I'm officially a nut case. .

Back
Top Bottom