Easter Egger club!

Very pretty birds, @TommyDaDelaware ! That's a very pretty rooster, do you know if he's crossed with anything/what he's crossed with? I have an Easter Egger cross Dominique rooster that looks similar. I love that coloring!
Thank you! I'm not sure what he is.. After Rooster Cogburn passed away (still not sure why) Mom found this guy at some place by Omro. They apparently had excess roosters from when they bought straight runs, and roosters galore, so I'd say barnyard mix. I was hoping to have pix too from rooster cogburns last breeding, but the incubator temp spiked late in the development and halted everything. 110 degrees will do that.. And there were BCMs in there too. Hopefully we'll get some out of Zeke.. My parents are replacing the thermostat in the bator, and we'll set the eggs from his girls this weekend or next maybe.

Thanks! @tinkerfairy. I can't have roosters in the city limits, so I really hope I don't have to find any of them a new home! That one is my favorite
1f629.png
1f62c.png

This is my third year with EE's still not an expert by any means haha! But I have had all colors and I currently have 2 hens that are all black and white I also have hens that are light golds and hens that are dark chocolate covered so don't worry yet :) I would say wait a few weeks and see if their combs start getting red and big before you think roo it's super hard I know! But I wouldn't worry to much until then :)

Like I said not always accurate, I was reading up on picking roos and hens in EE chicks what I read from a few places was a lot of roosters feather black and white. It was just a guess. Since you cant have roosters I hope it isn't
1f60a.png
we can have roosters where I live luckily. I haven't got mine yet they keep getting postponed for some reason so now I'm thinking about trying to go through a hatchery to get some.

Cooper's chicken-wrangling continues to amaze...

Tonight, down cellar where I'm hardening the chicks off, I decided to put Cooper to the test, I opened the door to the chicken cage, and let him have full access to the cage, he would let the chicks out of the cage a few inches, but keep a keen eye on them, anyone that strayed too far from the cage would be herded back in....

He started off gentle, with a couple muzzle nudges to get them going in the right direction, if they returned to the cage voluntarily, he'd stop nudging them

If they showed signs of obstinance, he'd gently grip a couple wing feathers in his mouth and steer them back into the cage, with a final insistent muzzle shove

If the chick completely ignored his directions, or struggled to get away, he would gently pin them to the ground and *push* them back in the cage, he'd then sit at the entrance of the cage, fixing the rebel with a stern look....

After about 10 minutes, he could stop any escape attempts purely by using "The Stare"

Of course, the flock has now realized that individual escape attempts will not work, and the only other solution is to "gang up on the dog" and have at least three chicks try to escape....
love it!!

Like I said not always accurate, I was reading up on picking roos and hens in EE chicks what I read from a few places was a lot of roosters feather black and white. It was just a guess. Since you cant have roosters I hope it isn't
1f60a.png
we can have roosters where I live luckily. I haven't got mine yet they keep getting postponed for some reason so now I'm thinking about trying to go through a hatchery to get some.

Who are you trying to get them from? A feed store or a person that breeds? I only ask because I put in an order with a feed store really early and they have yet to get the ones I ordered :-/ I know you can sex some chicks by the wing feathers but I keep forgetting to try it on my EE's to see if it works I have a week old one in the brood so I'll see if it works on that one should have done it when I had my big hatch group but they are all a few mnths old now gotta start using sticky notes! Haha

@tinkerfairy I forgot to say I was in no way trying to say you are wrong. And am sorry if I upset you :( I was just trying to give some hope for hens with having 2 black n white ones. all ideas are great and help us as chicken owners grow and learn more about our favorite breeds :)

I have a question about the coloring on my EE / Dominique mix. Here mom was a blonde EE, but she turned out white with a couple black stripped feathers from her father. Why?

I have a question about the coloring on my EE / Dominique mix. Here mom was a blonde EE, but she turned out white with a couple black stripped feathers from her father. Why?

My guess that the mom had a parent with a strong white/ black feathering gene. Mix that with the father having white/black feathering you got her. But I'm not a gene expert that's just the best guess I have haha! I would love to see a full picture of her it looks like a beautiful bird:) my favorite are the black/white EEs

My guess that the mom had a parent with a strong white/ black feathering gene. Mix that with the father having white/black feathering you got her. But I'm not a gene expert that's just the best guess I have haha! I would love to see a full picture of her it looks like a beautiful bird:) my favorite are the black/white EEs

I will take a picture of her when I get home and get it on here. :)

Back
Top Bottom