Easter Egger club!

Here are some pictures of her getting in the tree a few minutes ago

This is from a few months ago

I'm super excited bc Crackle Hatchery just told me that my EEs from them will produce more baby EEs! :)

I've ordered 12 EE pullets & 1 EE cockerell due to arrive in late May. I kept seeing posts online that EEs do not breed true, so I thought I'd call Cackle and ask if their line will keep producing more EEs and it will. Of course, by breeding true I don't mean there will be any standardization in the appearance of the chickens or their eggs, just that my EE roo and his girlz' babies will all be EEs. YAY!!! :)

Last edited:
I'm super excited bc Crackle Hatchery just told me that my EEs from them will produce more baby EEs! :)

I've ordered 12 EE pullets & 1 EE cockerell due to arrive in late May. I kept seeing posts online that EEs do not breed true, so I thought I'd call Cackle and ask if their line will keep producing more EEs and it will. Of course, by breeding true I don't mean there will be any standardization in the appearance of the chickens or their eggs, just that my EE roo and his girlz' babies will all be EEs. YAY!!! :)

What is meant by "not breeding true" is that their body type and coloration will probably fluctuate, sometimes wildly, between siblings. If what you're going for is a blue egg layer, then THAT tends to breed "true" because blue eggs are dominant. That means if a hen has only one copy of the blue egg gene, she'll still lay blue eggs. If the other half is for a brown egg gene, then she lays olive eggs (or just a muddy blue, depending on how strong the brown and blue are). This site has some really good simple explanations on what you can expect from your blue egg layers: https://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2012/07/08/gms2-breeding-for-blue-eggs/

The "problem" with the blue egg gene being dominant is that if you cross a hen that has only one copy along with a rooster that has only one copy, then 25% of chicks won't be blue egg layers. 50% will lay/carry blue but be like the parents that if crossed with another 50/50 they will end up with the 1-2-1 pattern of chicks, and another 25% will be "pure" blue egg carriers, in that if they were crossed with a bird without the blue egg gene, all chicks would be carriers.

Back
Top Bottom