Easter Egger club!

My red ones can be mean, and some of the black ones are even meaner, one of the white ones is super mean, and the blues are CRAZY!

idunno.gif

Sure, there are some breeds that are more docile or more aggressive, but you really can't put a label on them all.
Although one individual within a breed may not fit a label and be an exception there is something to be said in reading reviews of a breed to get a good idea of a breed's tendencies. I mean, Leghorns are assertive to downright cannibalistic toward gentler or docile breeds and although I had one White Leghorn that seemed the exception at first - being fairly kind and humane as an alpha flock leader - she did eventually display very aggressive characteristics in her 3rd year. Another Buff Leghorn turned cannibalistic mean right at her first birthday. So do forgive me for putting labels on chickens by color or breed. As much as I like chickens they aren't always the nice birds we want them to be. We pass along our experience for what it's worth and leave it up to the reader to decide for themselves. I was forewarned not to mix dual purpose LF with my Silkies and learned the the hard way when I had to re-home my bully LFs. I pay a lot more attention to other owners' experiences and suggestions now.

My reds were incredibly mean to the newbies but have been knocked down in the pecking order now that the Brahmas have got big and stepped up.
Hurray for the Brahmas! The larger docile breeds in their pullet stage are timid until they realize that size gives them an advantage!
smile.png

Yes but I still like my reds better than my Brahmas, my Brahma pullet is the only chicken so far to peck me outside of a semi broody Orp. The reds are talkative and bold and I like that.

My EE "Jasmine" is 26 weeks and just started laying a beautiful light green egg.

Wow! She's gorgeous! Is that a recent picture? I have three pullets the same age and I wasn't so sure they would start laying this late in the year and that their combs would need to be much redder and pronounced. You've given me hope!

Wow! She's gorgeous! Is that a recent picture? I have three pullets the same age and I wasn't so sure they would start laying this late in the year and that their combs would need to be much redder and pronounced. You've given me hope!
I will butt in here, one of mine that started laying at about 24 weeks had what was in my opinion still a very pale comb, and both of mine had their combs plump up weeks after they started laying. They have been solidly laying since they started about 2 mos. ago even with the shorter days.

I will butt in here, one of mine that started laying at about 24 weeks had what was in my opinion still a very pale comb, and both of mine had their combs plump up weeks after they started laying. They have been solidly laying since they started about 2 mos. ago even with the shorter days.

Yay! Thanks for sharing your experience!

Yes but I still like my reds better than my Brahmas, my Brahma pullet is the only chicken so far to peck me outside of a semi broody Orp. The reds are talkative and bold and I like that.

Well, I'm still not a fan of red hens but they really do make great egg-layers! My friend's broody Buff Orp was kinda mean - I think it goes with being broody but she was also top of the pecking order. We have been having so much fun with our Silkies the past 5 years and have had to re-home so many bully heritage/dual purpose birds that we're kinda thinking to stay with Silkies. For a broody breed they still lay a lot of eggs up to 4-5/week at 1.25 oz consistently. And we don't have to deal with the political flock drama of the LF heritage breeds. We love our Ameraucana and our friend loves her EEs because they are non-combative flockmates but not really good layers after their pullet year. Surprisingly our 5-yr-old Silkies have out-produced our 2-yr-old Ameraucana!

Back
Top Bottom